CityBuilder - share ideas/comments

Author (Read 38426 times)

CityBuilder - share ideas/comments
« on: September 25, 2012, 03:58:34 pm »

Knogle

• CB Wizard
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
This thread is made to collect all CityBuilder feedback.

FAQ

Q: Why don't add diamonds (or any other cargo) as requirement for town growth
A: We are making a GS (Game Scripts) version of CB, and currently it doesn't allow diamonds (or any other cargo) as a town effect.. hopefully it'll be possible as GS develops.

Changelog:
Oct 01 2012: New feature: Only towns with less than 500 inhabitants can be claimed.

--
Give our test server a try, and let us know what you think.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 03:06:05 pm by alex879ro »

Re: CityBuilder - share ideas/comments
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 03:49:46 am »

Pawngr

• View Profile
Towns with more than 2-3k ppl shouldn't be accessible for claimng.
Ex.:
In one of last games i was building my claimed town, but near me was a town, that i used huge for mail and passengers (especialy mail). Well... In some time I noticed, that this town is 5,4k. I claimed it and win. GG? Anyone could claim that town, so if some ppl will grow towns for such purpose the game can became in challenge of fast click for claiming.

Bribing off for some reason?

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 11:36:53 am »

Knogle

• CB Wizard
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Ah, yes.. that is a problem, it'll be looked into.. however I suggest you get passengers and mail from CITIES as they grow faster when provided with passengers.

Yes, bribing is off on the test server.. I guess it could be turned on, as you need to be able to build in your own town.

Towns with more than 2-3k ppl shouldn't be accessible for claimng.
Ex.:
In one of last games i was building my claimed town, but near me was a town, that i used huge for mail and passengers (especialy mail). Well... In some time I noticed, that this town is 5,4k. I claimed it and win. GG? Anyone could claim that town, so if some ppl will grow towns for such purpose the game can became in challenge of fast click for claiming.

Bribing off for some reason?

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 04:25:40 am »

omer584

• View Profile
Firstly hello. I love that city builder server, gratz to its builders. Anyway I love playing city builder games like Simcity since Simcity 3000, I have 4 suggestions:

1. Bigger map, 2056x2056 is better than 1024x512
2. Number of industries should be increase a lot (like double)
3.Bigger cities (ex: 850, 1k, 1.2k population) should not be a start cities. (my pop. limits are just example). And there should be a certain start city population.
4.Airplanes should be able BUT limit should be 5,6 or maybe 4 you choose  :)

Thank you

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 08:53:24 am »

Geert

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

1. a 1024 x 1024 should be fine (to increase the chance of competition)
2. nah maybe a bit more
3. i like the idea to grow a city from 100 pop to 5000 :) so start veeery small
4. no airplanes ;)

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 09:46:26 am »

riessie

• View Profile
I noticed that if a player leaves the game and the company gets reset it is possible to take over the players city.
Yesterday i jumped in the game and could take a town with 3k.

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 10:22:19 am »

omer584

• View Profile
I noticed that if a player leaves the game and the company gets reset it is possible to take over the players city.
Yesterday i jumped in the game and could take a town with 3k.

"Population limit for starting a city" would fix it :)

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 12:54:11 pm »

Andreas

• I'm not THAT hot :)
    • View Profile

No it will not, since the company you buy has allready claimed it (I thik)
alex879ro: "Each player has a different knowledge of the game, and then we got Andreas :)"

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 01:02:53 pm »

omer584

• View Profile

No it will not, since the company you buy has allready claimed it (I think)

It could be disable. By the way I remembered more suggestions :

5.Some towns does not have water tower. Every town should have water tower and bank and diamonds should be a requirements for town to grow up like passenger good and food.
6.Mail requirements are too high, it should be a little bit decreased.
7. (I noticed lucky) building station or company building to another company's town should be disabled. I dont know how but I tried built bus station in middle of another's town and it worked.
8. (I know I just said it) Make able aircrafts. Limit could be 2 or 3 but it needs to be able.

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 02:36:27 pm »

Knogle

• CB Wizard
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
1. The final decision about map size isn't made yet, its still just a test server.
2. Number of industries is set to max, it cannot be higher.
3. Eventually it will be so that only towns with less than a 500 population can be claimed.
4. The final decision about this isn't made yet, (again) its still just a test server.

Firstly hello. I love that city builder server, gratz to its builders. Anyway I love playing city builder games like Simcity since Simcity 3000, I have 4 suggestions:

1. Bigger map, 2056x2056 is better than 1024x512
2. Number of industries should be increase a lot (like double)
3.Bigger cities (ex: 850, 1k, 1.2k population) should not be a start cities. (my pop. limits are just example). And there should be a certain start city population.
4.Airplanes should be able BUT limit should be 5,6 or maybe 4 you choose  :)

Thank you

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 02:42:22 pm »

Knogle

• CB Wizard
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
5. That isn't possible without changing the source code of openttd itself, as GameScripts doesn't allow it, and we'd like to just use GameScripts. - so unless it's going to change in future openttd releases.. it'll remain like it is. (you can buy a water tower)

As for diamonds, it's the same issue as above, it's not possible with GameScripts.

6. I just adjusted it today, try a few games and see how it is now.

7. You can't block anyone from doing that, but we are working on a way to punish people when they do so.

8. See previous reply about aircraft/airports

*snip*
By the way I remembered more suggestions :

5.Some towns does not have water tower. Every town should have water tower and bank and diamonds should be a requirements for town to grow up like passenger good and food.
6.Mail requirements are too high, it should be a little bit decreased.
7. (I noticed lucky) building station or company building to another company's town should be disabled. I dont know how but I tried built bus station in middle of another's town and it worked.
8. (I know I just said it) Make able aircrafts. Limit could be 2 or 3 but it needs to be able.

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 04:00:47 pm »

Andreas

• I'm not THAT hot :)
    • View Profile
I don't think the watertower/bank not being present in all towns is abroblem because 1: they are relatively easy to fund and 2: I think it should be part of the stragety to select a good town, just like other factors such as available space, landscape, proximity to other cities and industries
alex879ro: "Each player has a different knowledge of the game, and then we got Andreas :)"

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 07:02:05 pm »

YorVeX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • n-ice.org
I don't think the watertower/bank not being present in all towns is abroblem because 1: they are relatively easy to fund and 2: I think it should be part of the stragety to select a good town, just like other factors such as available space, landscape, proximity to other cities and industries
i agree with Andreas here, the only idea i had was to maybe show a warning below the town name - so where cities have ".:: City ::." it will say "No water tower!" for towns without one. if a player decides to claim the town nevertheless the text will be replaced by the usual message indicating that the town was claimed by XY transport.

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 07:05:48 pm »

YorVeX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • n-ice.org

No it will not, since the company you buy has allready claimed it (I thik)
you are talking about buying a company, but the others were talking about when a company got reset (so the town it had claimed is free again, but might have a raised population already). anyway, it's the same. if you buy a company you don't get its claimed town, you just keep yours.
and regardless of whether the company got bought or reset, its town will no longer be claimed. and as omer584 said if we got a limit for the town size that can get claimed this would solve it implicitly.

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 03:12:51 am »

bowidl

• View Profile
it would be nice to have a server command which tells the amount of population served by one unit of each cargo type. or tell the amount of cargo needed to serve goal population. especially now during test phase when requirements may still change. for example now it's ~6.7 passengers, ~27 mail, 13.5 other cargo per inhabitant. so a 5000 population town needs ~747 passengers, ~186 mail, 371 other cargo.

in the end this could make various difficulty levels if you plan to make more city builder servers. instead of having different goal populations you could adjust these rates (which makes no difference actually but it helps keeping cities small)