You are Here:
CityBuilder - share ideas/comments

Author (Read 39523 times)

Re: CityBuilder - share ideas/comments
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 04:38:24 am »

omer584

• View Profile
Today I made some research with n-ice city builder and another city builder server. (do not give name of server because of advertising rule but it is new version of closed luukland servers). Both are desert map both are nearly same years. Here are results :

n-ice OpenTTD city builder:

Foster bus : 16.4k $
Foster Oil Tanker : 15.3k $
Thomas Grain Truck : 14.5k $
CS2400 Diesel : 50 k $
5 tile road construction : 2.3k $

Other city builder :

Foster bus : 9.2k $
Foster Oil Tanker : 8.6k $
Thomas Grain Truck : 8.1k $
CS2400 Diesel : 56.2 k $
5 tile road construction : 970 $

This is really nice server and I want to increase server's success. I want to tell that firstly vehicle prices are changeable (you said it is impossible). Secondly people should be directed to bulid roads and buy trucks instead of building a long Oil line. These are all MY ideas

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 04:42:48 am »

Knogle

• CB Wizard
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I doubt we will ever make such command, If you know from the start how much cargo you need to reach the goal, your focus would be on reaching exactly these cargo requirements, so I'm trying to keep that calculating unpredictable.

The script has various settings that can change these requirements, so yes, in the end the difficulty can be adjusted differently for different servers, that's the plan.. so while such command is very doubtful to be implented, I'd rather like to hear what you think of the difficulty on the test server.

it would be nice to have a server command which tells the amount of population served by one unit of each cargo type. or tell the amount of cargo needed to serve goal population. especially now during test phase when requirements may still change. for example now it's ~6.7 passengers, ~27 mail, 13.5 other cargo per inhabitant. so a 5000 population town needs ~747 passengers, ~186 mail, 371 other cargo.

in the end this could make various difficulty levels if you plan to make more city builder servers. instead of having different goal populations you could adjust these rates (which makes no difference actually but it helps keeping cities small)

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 04:50:00 am »

Knogle

• CB Wizard
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
That is because they are using a newgrf to change the prices, we are avoiding using newgrfs as it requires people to download it before being able to enter the server.. so yes, there is a difference, and in the end every server admin running this CB gamescript can easily choose to use a newgrf to change the pricing.

EDIT: As you can see you're required to download a newgrf called "LL Basecosts" to be able to join their server.

Today I made some research with n-ice city builder and another city builder server. (do not give name of server because of advertising rule but it is new version of closed luukland servers). Both are desert map both are nearly same years. Here are results :

*snip*
I want to tell that firstly vehicle prices are changeable (you said it is impossible).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:56:08 am by Knogle »

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 07:11:11 am »

bowidl

• View Profile
As long as you don't adjust the req function it is easy to calculate yourself (and anything other than linear would not make sense. Why should 4000 people require exponentially more food than 3000). There's no secret gained from the command. It just does the work for the players. For me this falls into difficulty settings. Like knowing the interest rate or amount of initial loan or a town's growth rate.

Regarding current difficulty.. I have not played with the scheduling interface so far. This is my last hope to synchronize deliveries. Other than that I find the game too difficult because I always have 4/5 and the missing cargos keep changing. One month this cargo is missing, then another. But that's not an issue with the current settings but with the game mode in general.

I doubt we will ever make such command, If you know from the start how much cargo you need to reach the goal, your focus would be on reaching exactly these cargo requirements, so I'm trying to keep that calculating unpredictable.

The script has various settings that can change these requirements, so yes, in the end the difficulty can be adjusted differently for different servers, that's the plan.. so while such command is very doubtful to be implented, I'd rather like to hear what you think of the difficulty on the test server.

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 11:11:33 am »

omer584

• View Profile
Ohh by the way I forgot to say:

1. It doesnt matter its Test server or Original server; Increase player limit from 10 to 16 PLEASE

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 11:47:40 am »

Andreas

• I'm not THAT hot :)
    • View Profile

Regarding current difficulty.. I have not played with the scheduling interface so far. This is my last hope to synchronize deliveries. Other than that I find the game too difficult because I always have 4/5 and the missing cargos keep changing. One month this cargo is missing, then another. But that's not an issue with the current settings but with the game mode in general.

Try using transfer stations and taking it to the town with road vehicles. gradually increasing the ammount will make delivery more stable. Also using shorter trains can help..

I have not played a full game yet, but yesterday I grew a town from 400 to 3.5 k in 7 game years, so I don't think it is too difficult.

[Edit]

I think it might be good to set the grid to 3x3 as it makes is possible to easily cover the whole town with bus stops as illustrated in the screenshot attached:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:27:23 pm by Andreas »
alex879ro: "Each player has a different knowledge of the game, and then we got Andreas :)"

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 03:10:51 pm »

YorVeX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • n-ice.org

I think it might be good to set the grid to 3x3 as it makes is possible to easily cover the whole town with bus stops as illustrated in the screenshot attached:
something Andreas suggested on IRC and i asked him to post here, as i really think that is a good argument for 3x3 cities. anyone not agreeing here?

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 05:03:18 pm »

omer584

• View Profile

something Andreas suggested on IRC and i asked him to post here, as i really think that is a good argument for 3x3 cities. anyone not agreeing here?

I agree

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 06:30:57 pm »

The_Dude

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Novapolis
You should know that 3x3 is the grid where town grows the slowest. Best is the original roads (see the algorithm in the source).
This is of course just one factor of the town growth. But when building roads by towns is disabled, you can choose whatever layout you want.

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 09:49:20 pm »

Andreas

• I'm not THAT hot :)
    • View Profile
You should know that 3x3 is the grid where town grows the slowest. Best is the original roads (see the algorithm in the source).
This is of course just one factor of the town growth. But when building roads by towns is disabled, you can choose whatever layout you want.
ah, did not know that, and since towns are rather small at start anyways, it does not really matter what grid they have. Guess better leave it as is then.
alex879ro: "Each player has a different knowledge of the game, and then we got Andreas :)"

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 04:02:15 pm »

bowidl

• View Profile
there is something strange about hqs in towns. when 2 hqs of different companies are in the same town, the town belongs to nobody although the town name still mentions the name of the first company. idk if its just with the !cv command or if it can really prevent someone from winning the game.
+1 for claiming towns smaller than 500 btw!

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 07:35:59 pm »

Knogle

• CB Wizard
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for your feedback, will look into this first thing in the morning.

there is something strange about hqs in towns. when 2 hqs of different companies are in the same town, the town belongs to nobody although the town name still mentions the name of the first company. idk if its just with the !cv command or if it can really prevent someone from winning the game.
+1 for claiming towns smaller than 500 btw!

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 02:50:53 am »

Mediv

• View Profile
Imo 700 million cv is far to much, or the pop is to low.

I played 2 times on the server and reacher 5000 within 12/13 years. 500 million on the k medium goal server took far more then 12 years. Like this, I think the growing of the city is just a side job, and gaining cv is the main.

But I will try 2 more rounds next weekend to see, how much cv is reach at 5000 pop.

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 05:51:47 am »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
We don`t have that many playstyles to provide data about how population grows compared to company value. If you could provide us with data like made by your playstyle, it would be great:)

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 03:47:39 pm »

AlexAlex

• View Profile
I played in the city builder when it is in developement and in this moment, the only required requisite to win are population in your town.

Now require Company Value(CV), and i think that this is un-necesary in a city builder, becouse the objetive in the game is grow the town, not the company.

If necesary, can elevate the population required to 10.000 or 15.000 or 25.000 if the server suport this. But eliminate other requisites, like CV or perfomace.

Only population in our town.