just to clarify among admins:
Is squaring a City like this allowed?
https://imgur.com/a/FeZUBBN

Re: Funded Cities
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 10:11:12 pm »

Kyrre

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hiya, I'm providing a better screenshot, given I'm present when ST2 quite rightly has identified this as a potential rule break,
Whilst it could be said I'm dominating the stations around a city, that's not entirely true since the city is growing through the "boundary" (which is a well-designed station) via tunnels, made before the city was purchased.
Anyways, here's the screenshot:  See Attached

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 02:04:00 am »

ST2

• View Profile
@Kyrre I'm glad you shown that screenshots:

You just showed us how to keep competition out of a City Center! Even if a funded town!

I truly hope that admins see it on how it is. Personally I'm sad that Kyrre, after all this years, have no ide how a City grows!

Now admins can judge, by the screenshots, how the RED player had a bunch of vehicles, inside a square, and with roads made, keeping it unreachable on the same terms.

Well, I just pointed it - but the same players keeps doing it - in the "fair" way as shown! (several places now - this time of game)

So, as I asked previously: Is squaring a City like this allowed?

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 05:40:29 am »

Knogle

• CB Wizard
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm not really sure if it does violate rule 3, because there is tunnels leading in and out of the city center and he did buy the town himself.
It is 4 different stations, so it's not really done to increase coverage.

Maybe it could be said that it violates rule 4, but the intention doesn't seem to be to block others out, they could still transfer via busses/trucks to the outside via the already built tunnels.

I would love to hear other admins opinion.

Rule #3: Don't build stations or station parts that serve the sole purpose of increasing the coverage area, sabotaging other players, increasing the station/town rating or decreasing the distance to another station.

Rule #4: Don't block other players. Reserving land to keep others out of a place is also considered blocking, as is placing obstructions in front of where others are currently building.Occupy at maximum 50% of the space around a PRIMARY industry/town.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 01:11:45 am »

ST2

• View Profile
this discussion can lead to when were still allowed competition on secondary industries on n-ice - yeah, rules were once like that. And I always defended the idea that a competitor company should be able to build to build similar stations as the first company - it was fun with alex879ro, that abused and caused myself leaving n-ice admin team (among other changes) - but similar abuses are not fun any more, specially on primary resources.
And I consider a Town/City a primary resource and, if by any way, a player limits competition on a primary resource the same way he does, it's an unfair action, that admins should level! There's none said in rules that a funded town/city is "fully or partially" private, so... all other companies must, and for the sake of server rules, should access town/city in same way/coverage as the 1st one.

And if anyone states Game Mechanics, when a town/city is funded it builds their own roads, accordingly the settings set! And that's why they're called town roads. As it seems, players abuse on funding towns on specific places already prepared to keep "competition out". I am wrong?

Anyway, if not stated on rules, funded towns/cities aren't private, making the above screenshots a clear violation of rule #4, for the reasons stated above.

@Knogle: yeah, I'm just seeing you compete that town/city via busses/trucks to the outside via the already built tunnels!!! that's only words to don't make it look bad!

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 07:05:15 am »

Kyrre

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Well, the city could have been shared by anyone at any time, despite the 100's of others available on the map.  while nobody did, I wouldn't have minded,
When the game finished it was 7th largest, with a population of over 100k, which does to show how "poorly" I understand how a city works!

I don't care much if Knogle looks bad, as I know he and the rest of the admin's here are truly N-ice!

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 11:15:11 pm »

ST2

• View Profile
@Kyrre: you misunderstood me, I said "that's only words to don't make it look bad!" to YOU! (Kyrre)

I know Knogle's work as admin (and way more) and he's well respected as so! And he knows it :)

but, Kyrre, it's still NOT allowed to block a Coal mine, even if there's other 100, and with better production. Can you understand the analogy?