1.3.0 C - n-ice version

Author (Read 22219 times)

Re: 1.3.0 C - n-ice version
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 04:39:07 pm »

The_Dude

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Novapolis
What does it have to do with links? Now I am under impression that you do not understand GPL licence correctly or trying to avoid it.

In https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License the first paragraph clearly states, that:
The GNU General Public License (GNU GPL or GPL) is the most widely used[5] free software license, which guarantees end users (individuals, organizations, companies) the freedoms to use, study, share (copy), and modify the software.

Which users of your admin client simply can not do if you do not provide sources. What is more explicit breach of OpentTTD GPL licence?
The fact, that client is not public, but is reserved for only narrow circle of users is totally not the issue here. Even if you provided privately for one person, you have to include source. So please do not give us a giberrish about some not public links.
Now, you abandoned doing admin client for some admins around N-ice, and because you broke the licence and have not included sources, they are without the client.

This casts an interesting light on your debate with xOR here on forum
http://www.n-ice.org/openttd/forum/index.php?topic=361.0

Clearly, I must admire N-ice admins, that they have not been aware of GPL licence and have not drawn your attention to that, as you probably do not understand it. Also I am quite puzzled why they have not wondered about your intentions to not provide the sources. Now I see you builded around here the image of generous guy, who is always at hand, and I can see you contributed to both N-ice and BTpro very much, but to independent observer, some of your actions are puzzling.

Now I am from Novapolis aka former Luukland's Servers, so before anyone would want to start charging me of doing the same, read the debate about this issue in here
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=46268#p839895

I am sorry about making some strong statements here, but I need to set that clear.

Also it is of course ok, that you stopped doing admin client for N-ice, or more accurate, for some of N-ice admins. I offered a helping hand to xOR and promised him I will do n-ice admin client for a while. But it would be much easier for me, if you have not played a trick or treat here and included the diff, so I could just compile it and not have to rewrite whole code.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:01:33 pm by The_Dude »

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 05:08:20 pm »

ST2

• View Profile
As I said, I've tried to fix the non-compliance of the License as I could. The users that got incorrect distributed packages have the solution of deleting it, because I don't have the diff's of it. My fault? Yes! What can I do now? Rebuild it?!
What I can ensure now is that won't happen again the mistake of not include the diff's when providing binary.

I am sorry about making some strong statements here, but I need to set that clear.
Understandable and after some reads, thank you for showing some enlightening links about GPL

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 06:15:58 pm »

The_Dude

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Novapolis
Excellent. Thank you for understanding

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 12:44:21 am »

ST2

• View Profile
well The_Dude, I'm happy that you explained me somethings about OpenTTD license...

but I guess you'll have to keep you efforts running :D
example: http://www.n-ice.org/openttd/client/n-ice-1.3.1.zip

I guess someone haven't read what you said... sadly :(

anyway, http://www.n-ice.org/openttd/client/  <<-- thx for sharing the 1.3.0 version too :D

good games all :)

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 07:20:22 am »

The_Dude

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Novapolis
As usual you are harsh to share your impressions before aquiring vital information.

When I read xOR's post about troubles with you and his sigh about having to make client himself I offered him to do a client for n-ice for a while, until they get some reliable person.

I made some public/admin client and send them to n-ice, of course with diffs. What they do with it is their responsibility.
As you can see from news, Alex and Myhorta are uploading it there, so ask them.

Also I saw you again boasting about your clients on IRC. Well, for me it is not competition, so I dont care how many features you add. It is true I excluded some things from clients, only because I didnt like them.

You yourself implied that your coding style is not very well, and it was true. So I reworked some thinks, as they were not nice, to make it more c++ and more OpenTTD style. Like making one function and calling it instead of copying the same bunch of code at more places, using OpenTTD function to open http links instead of external API. And some advanced c++ structures you obviously have yet to learn.

So please, before telling me off I do not keep GPL licence, ask around and do not make false public statements. It makes you look bad and silly.

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 09:18:07 am »

iSoSyS

• Administrator
    • View Profile
My fault for not checking the content before uploading...
I'll fix it asap. No need to start a huge discussion with false accusations.

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 10:43:28 am »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
St2, no offence , but your posts are getting stupider with each day that passes. (Only what I notice)

You not giving the diffs: was a willingly action. Several members of our comunity have asked for them. Also, do not forget that episode with "personalising" the admin version when you actually sent each admin different versions depending on how you felt about them.

Do not compare that situation with a situation where I uploaded only the client because I didn`t know that uploading the diffs was mandatory. Do not forget that you made the client and the admin versions for years, while for me this is my first time being involved. Also, do not forget that this situation happened for 12-14 hours, while your unwiligness to give the diffs even when asked happened for months.

So please, I know it is hard, but think before you write.

Also, a tip: The topics in the forum were not created for your advertising of your own client or attacking n-ice. If you continue that, I will just delete your posts.
Thank You for understanding , and sorry for not providing the diffs too, won`t happen again.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:47:24 am by alex879ro »

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 01:19:54 pm »

ST2

• View Profile
I never wanted to start a huge discussion, not even start a discussion at all. The situation was simply ironic. And I don't see lack of truth in words I've used framed at the time were said. And was not accusing anyone in particular not even globally. I was just funny.
And now I know that I was not respecting the license and that some code was ugly. Anyway, it's not a competition. And I've fixed that as soon I rebuilt some diff's.
I have no problem on include the changes or sharing them but got tired of having answers like this: "st2...this is the last time i`m telling you: LEAVE ME ALONE".
Many things could be said around this and I've made my mistakes too but more and more reminds me this scene.

Peace and good games all :)

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 01:56:17 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No point in starting the debate in order to tell THE REASON why you got those answers.
I understood your irony, but this time it was my mistake and I admit, I asked Myhorta to post the files with the diffs and I apologised for my mistake.

As you said: Peace and good games to all