You are Here:
Server 8 official change proposal

Author (Read 29287 times)

Server 8 official change proposal
« on: August 03, 2012, 10:03:02 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Following the requests and the discussion that we had , we developed the following change proposal for server 8. Me and St2 agreed and want to present it to you so we can discuss it in case somebody can find a better way (explanation is mandatory)

Feel free to state your opinion and the reason for it afterwards.

Server 8 (DESERT LONG RUN) current settings

1: Start Date : 1969           NEW PROPOSED DATE : 1985
2: End Date (in case nobody wins it) : 2060   NEW PROPOSED DATE : 2090
3: Maximum station and train length : 23     NEW PROPOSED LENGTH : 14
4: Max train number: 350     NEW PROPOSED NUMBER : 500
5: Max road vehicle number : 130  NEW PROPOSED NUMBER: 250

The last change proposed is decreasing TOWN_GROWTH_RATE (making the towns grow a bit more slower)
Any other limit or setting not mentioned here is not submited to questioning and therefore to change. We expect opinions. Thank You!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 05:32:37 pm by alex879ro »

Re: Server 8 official change proposal
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 12:15:39 am »

Geert

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I like it :)

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 12:38:22 am »

ragul ftw

• i suck, get over it.
    • View Profile
i think station/train length should be a bit longer
maybe 16 or 17
     :-\

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 08:58:42 am »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I like it :)

Thank you for your opinion :)

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 09:02:31 am »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
i think station/train length should be a bit longer
maybe 16 or 17
     :-\

The purpose for station length is to be 14 or smaller. We can compensate with the train number, but we thought about starting with 500 trains. If it will be necesary we will increase train number.
Also, please argue your response in case you suggest different settings then what we propose. " I think that 16-17 train length would be better cause......."

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 03:51:18 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
We chosed 14 because we are trying to be as close as we can to the Openttd dev recomendation which is 12. We are trying to make the same gameplay by compensating in train number.

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 10:12:30 pm »

geo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
ragul, no wonder u have -karma...when u state something, we need something behind that, an argument at least...so we think about it...but u're not giving us any...alex is right u know? so be a good boy and think before writing suggestions :)
Don't worry, be happy :D

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 04:12:28 am »

Cossack

• arl hook u in the gabber
    • View Profile
I'm not sure about the proposed reduction in train size. I'd just started getting used to building with the long trains, if the reduction takes place i'll have to change my strategy for this server completely. How would you feel if the max train length on 5 was 12? You'd hate it! I got the impression everything about long-run was supposed to be bigger, but with these proposed changes it'll seem more like a medium run goal. I also liked the fact that with the limit being 23, 8 had the longest trains on n-ice. Please don't change this! However, i do like the sound of all the other changes :)

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 04:37:49 am »

Kadar

• View Profile
You are only extending the goal by a few years, the trains are being shrunk by 9. We all know the way to win the long run goal is to make the trains that bring in 1 million per visit or close to that, I believe that shrinking the trains so much you would have to increase the goal time.

I don't think that will be enough time to compensate for the large loss of money due to the large change of trains.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:46:21 am by Kadar »

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 09:15:01 am »

Geert

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I dont see a problem here

my first time on s8 i used TL 15 trains and made 1 billion a year with maglev 2 trains
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:21:28 am by Geert »

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 10:18:52 am »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm not sure about the proposed reduction in train size. I'd just started getting used to building with the long trains, if the reduction takes place i'll have to change my strategy for this server completely. How would you feel if the max train length on 5 was 12? You'd hate it! I got the impression everything about long-run was supposed to be bigger, but with these proposed changes it'll seem more like a medium run goal. I also liked the fact that with the limit being 23, 8 had the longest trains on n-ice. Please don't change this! However, i do like the sound of all the other changes :)

@cossack: That`s exactly one of the reasons i had in mind. A long time ago i used to play long runs with small trains but with big train numbers. And after St2 kept his speech about how we could improve the connection to the server by doing this, i thought...hey...why not? As i said before ....server 5 is not questionable here and i don`t agree with change there since server 5 and server 3 are the most popular open ttd servers. They already found their players. On 8 we`re still experimenting. So i thought why not have 2 different Long Runs . 1 with 20TL trains and one with small trains but many many more trains . The train number will be increased if necesary in order to compensate. But the point here is 1: how the server will run...if it will run more smooth   2: a new type of long run with the same goal but different means and strategies to get there.

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 10:35:48 am »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You are only extending the goal by a few years, the trains are being shrunk by 9. We all know the way to win the long run goal is to make the trains that bring in 1 million per visit or close to that, I believe that shrinking the trains so much you would have to increase the goal time.

I don't think that will be enough time to compensate for the large loss of money due to the large change of trains.

@kadar : the purpose remains the same. Instead of having 1 train that earns 1milion , you`ll have 2 trains that earn 500k each. The only thing doubling is the cost of running the trains but since that is very small (estimate cost to run trains that make 200 mil profit is max 4 mil) , we can live with that.

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 04:32:27 pm »

TechNoir

• View Profile
I also suggest changing the goal to 5 billions of the value and decreasing number of cities. There are too many of them on the map.

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 05:16:04 pm »

Geert

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I would suggest to make it 15 billion :)

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 09:39:48 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I also suggest changing the goal to 5 billions of the value and decreasing number of cities. There are too many of them on the map.

I agree with decreasing the city number...

As for changing the goal , first we need argumentation of this idea. And after that we will talk:)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:45:31 pm by alex879ro »