You are Here:
improvement suggestions

Author (Read 10440 times)

improvement suggestions
« on: April 20, 2014, 08:33:44 pm »

imus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
tried the server first time this morning but had to stop early, now finished it properly and overall I really like it :)
But just like all new (or revamped) implementations there are some issues :p.

Problem 1:
it kept spamming me that my coal supply was too big. It's counter productive to manually reduce the supply (for example send all coal trains to depot) as it prevents the mines you're using from growing for the future.

suggested solution:
make the people revolt against you and destroy your entire stored supply (everything).

alternative solution:
something like: "The city has come up with a temporary solution to the over supply. The requirements are doubled (/ tripled / 10 - fold) for the next month and all growth increases are doubled during this time."

problem 2:
my city couldn't build a factory because there wasn't room between 6 and 13 far tiles.

solution:
it makes more sense to allow it to be built further away like between 10 and 30 tiles far.

problem 3:
you can't start delivering the next resource so once it is needed you automatically fail at the next requirements for a while.

solution:
let the town build the following industry before the resource is needed. Not sure when or how tho ...

problem 4:
too few points

solution:
well it's in test phase, make it more rewarding if you want to motivate test-players :)
Figure out the right amount when testing is over.

Re: improvement suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 11:17:43 pm »

ST2

• View Profile
only to add some possible solutions:

Problem 1:
- Add decay %'s;
- or storage limits;
- Remove waiting (storage) passengers and mail;

Problem 2:
- maybe that's a setting of Similar industries close, most noticeable in Tropic maps with water industries related...
- and ofc, always avoid this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vg2dqvafflqraee/noWater.png (note: town kept growing... slowly :D)

Problem 3:
- Since the Cargos, and pop demands are harded coded on the script, I guess it's doable...
- but hard to state boundries, because saw a town in Tropic (server 1) where population was 462 and potential population was 815 (when all buildings finished)...
- or maybe that's the solution: script claculates potential population (including the buildings beeing made) to see what industries are needed.

Problem 4:
- never reached that point, so... up to you

note: now I feel free to ask Chucky and others to test our test CB too... I would like to have same output info there... as I provided here ^^

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 05:13:21 pm »

Chucky

• Administrator
    • View Profile
@ST2
- Remove waiting (storage) passengers and mail;

i understand, it´s your biggest wish. done.

@imus
Problem 1:
it kept spamming me that my coal supply was too big. It's counter productive to manually reduce the supply (for example send all coal trains to depot) as it prevents the mines you're using from growing for the future.

you can't handle it? e.g.: send trains to another powerstation for a while. why do you ask for the easiest way?

problem 2:
my city couldn't build a factory because there wasn't room between 6 and 13 far tiles.

changed, but be carefully with building roads in your town also.

problem 3:
you can't start delivering the next resource so once it is needed you automatically fail at the next requirements for a while.

the script tries to build needed industries every 1st of month, be carefully with building roads! Sure you will lost 1-2 months but that's acceptable because you have to create the network for the required cargo in meantime.

problem 4:
too few points

sure, if you play like a newbie  :P . i guess you can handle it.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 11:37:25 pm »

ST2

• View Profile
I wouldn't reply to this one, if some "Stasi" actions didn't delete/removed my previous reply... in a defense to a direct insult... but I'll wait till both posts restored, if possible!
if not, the person who deleted them and why! players need to know it, because I never kept my opinions as secrets... (note: hope the 3 dots are understandable... I've not finished, yet!)

not to the thread point:
i understand, it´s your biggest wish. done.
it's not my biggest wish, it's only a matter to keep it understandable to players with the lifes they got. It's a game, I know... but if you want unreal things, please use NUTS
and I got surprised with the post I replied (yes, both deleted, wondering why too) because their actions in ALL GRF's are to make it more realistic... was it fear?! I don't know... just wondering!

you can't handle it? e.g.: send trains to another powerstation for a while. why do you ask for the easiest way?
the easiest way is preciselly that, deliver to town power plant - other closest power plants can be inside claimed areas of other players... and don't forget that opens a known exploit, cargos delivered inside (or not, since gets town station's name)

that was clearly a player fault of making massive roads around, not even comparable when town can't build a water tower because it's on fertile terrain (not desert) or when there's closest same type of industries (primary, secondary or terciary). But no, I haven't solution for it... and enable the setting is not desirable aswell, imo :)

Despicte the fact that the deleted posts were about this: insults and suggestions! I know my place and only asked why the insults, the suggestions are being taking care, thank you The_Dude;

Now, to bring some truth to this thread discussion... please undelete the posts removed! It's fake this way, as I said, remembers me the Stasi times.

note: this post can be edited when the previous restored... if not, it doesn't break any posting rules, neither offends anyone, admins, players or post readers...

note2: this post ended with a dot to don't confuse some brains.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 05:18:31 am »

ST2

• View Profile
edit: you can mark as erased this part (not delete, mark it as strikethrough):
and don't forget that opens a known exploit, cargos delivered inside (or not, since gets town station's name)
my bad, but cant edit my own post, not a single time :(

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 06:55:03 am »

The_Dude

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Novapolis
You excellent example of a moron  :P

The posts were moved to another thread by Chucky. Now I should require an apology for being framed by you falsely.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 07:09:54 pm »

Chucky

• Administrator
    • View Profile
ST2, I will answer to your post tomorrow, today i´m very angered about your accusation.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 08:06:30 pm »

Chucky

• Administrator
    • View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 08:45:02 am »

imus

• Administrator
    • View Profile

I didn't say I couldn't handle it, I said it was counter productive. Why would you want to force me to connect to another coal station just because my city recently required a new resource but hasn't built the accepting industry yet? While it is trying to build it my coal is piling up as the city isn't using any ... Not really the most fun way of dealing with it :p

problem 2:...

There's a difference between being carful with building roads and just build a single extention in all direction for improving town growth ... Thanks for changing :) (although testing is needed to see if it's ok now =D)

problem 3:....
the script tries to build needed industries every 1st of month, be carefully with building roads! Sure you will lost 1-2 months but that's acceptable because you have to create the network for the required cargo in meantime.

I don't think that it is acceptible as you got no control over the penalty at all ...

Instead of gaining 4 days you lose 4 in those 2 months so you're 8 days behind on schedule. This difference is added on each update untill you reach growth on every single day. Starting at 500 days this would mean that on perfect delivery you have 250 of these updates (-2 days each time) so that's a total of 2000 days before catching up. 1 day in game = 2.22 seconds so that's a difference of 1 hour and 14 minutes.

EDIT: correction it's -1 day for passed so that makes:
Instead of gaining 2 days you lose 4 in those 2 months so you're 6 days per growth behind on schedule. This difference is added on each update untill you reach growth on every single day. Starting at 500 days this would mean that on perfect delivery you need a total of 3000 days before catching up. 1 day in game = 2.22 seconds so that's a difference of 1 hour and 51 minutes. /EDIT

This also does not seem right at all ... if town growth is over 365 days does that mean it isn't growing in the next year? I find it hard to believe that ...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:55:18 am by imus »