[Implemented] FIRS?

Author (Read 21555 times)

[Implemented] FIRS?
« on: July 29, 2012, 06:06:56 pm »

YorVeX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • n-ice.org
in the past we have tried to put some NewGRFs onto the servers but the effect always was that it stayed empty. reason is most probably that the servers with NewGRF mismatch are sorted down in the server list, so players don't see or don't care for them.
however, FIRS has become quite popular so chances are high that players already have that NewGRF and see a server running it, with a nice green dot  ;)

so i think we should give it a try and run a FIRS server. now as you all know we can't just create a new server, resources are limited, we got to make one of the existing server a FIRS server.

questions:
1. should we try FIRS? pro? contra?
2. which of the servers should become a FIRS server.
3. what additional (setting) changes should be made to that server so it's running properly with FIRS?

input please  :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:19:23 am by Andreas »

Re: FIRS?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 09:16:16 pm »

teckers

• View Profile

3. what additional (setting) changes should be made to that server so it's running properly with FIRS?

input please  :D

You will need a compatible train set and compatible road vehicles set, not as many are 100% compatible as you would expect.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 09:22:35 pm »

YorVeX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • n-ice.org
maybe it would make sense if we use the same as BTPro then. we could benefit both - players that have all necessary sets for n-ice servers can also play on BTPro FIRS and vice-versa.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 01:51:39 pm »

TechNoir

• View Profile
To be honest IMHO ECS is better :) More enjoyable for me to play. It is more demanding and more realistic.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 10:58:35 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
sounds great:D
i think we should make them on server 5, many players would like that:D but that's only my guess...
about the additional changes, i don't know...i don't have any ideas for the moment

Server 5 is quite popular at the moment. No need for such changes like the one with infrastructure was. Do not forget that ECS consists of a lot of new industries that most players don`t know , so until they learn it , we could implement them on a smaller server , possibly without a goal and that already has few players. I`m thinking server 1 or server 7, but throwing ECS on one of the popular servers (3,5,8) would be a great mistake.

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 11:49:57 am »

TechNoir

• View Profile
So maybe a good solution would be to run ECS or FIRS server on #2 every two days with for example settings like 100 milion 900 rating and then compare and see which setting is more popular.

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 02:05:46 pm »

YorVeX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • n-ice.org
the idea is good but it would need a manual shutdown of the server, change of the settings, and restart every two days. this will be too hard to organize, private life doesn't allow to be here reliably.
so i'd rather say we try it for a full week and then check how it is influenced the server popularity.

but first of all we should still decide on which server. i would want to take a goal server in any case, as they naturally attract more players that care for good competition, which should be the same players that could also appreciate FIRS.

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 02:09:30 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
So maybe a good solution would be to run ECS or FIRS server on #2 every two days with for example settings like 100 milion 900 rating and then compare and see which setting is more popular.

I think ECS should be implemented permanently. But not on server 2. There is no point in implementing ECS on a server where u can transport only passengers.

Also 900 performance seems too much.....that `s the performance level for long runs. I think server 1 should be implemented with ECS

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 03:43:48 pm »

geo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
but first of all we should still decide on which server. i would want to take a goal server in any case, as they naturally attract more players that care for good competition, which should be the same players that could also appreciate FIRS.

if server 1 is out of the question, i suggest server 4 :D servers like 3, 5, 8 are pretty popular, and i don't even dare to suggest server 6(i don't want to die young:P)
Don't worry, be happy :D

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 04:24:44 pm »

vitalikk2005

• View Profile
Servers 4 and 7 seem to be the least popular. If we want to upset as little people as possible - that's the criterion. I never played FIRS before but will definitely give it a try if you launch it.

Update. Server 2 (metropolis) is not popular too, but sometimes there is simply an urge for some pax :). And if we expect Citybuilder anytime soon (do we, Knogle? ;)) - it might replace our existing metropolis.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:32:59 pm by vitalikk2005 »

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 04:29:22 pm »

TechNoir

• View Profile

I think ECS should be implemented permanently. But not on server 2. There is no point in implementing ECS on a server where u can transport only passengers.

Also 900 performance seems too much.....that `s the performance level for long runs. I think server 1 should be implemented with ECS

Hmmm u misunderstood me. I mean using server with but different settings :p

So for example the settings like there are on server 3 or 5

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 04:41:12 pm »

Sweety

• View Profile
I would love to see FIRS server from n-ice team! My friend once set up server with FIRS and I was really impressed by those new factories and so many new production chains. I would definitely play on your FIRS server.

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 05:36:05 pm »

geo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I would love to see FIRS server from n-ice team! My friend once set up server with FIRS and I was really impressed by those new factories and so many new production chains. I would definitely play on your FIRS server.

thank you for your support, we appreciate it :)
Don't worry, be happy :D

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 10:08:59 pm »

YorVeX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • n-ice.org
mh, i was hoping that a common picture would form here about which server to convert to FIRS. however, it doesn't really seem that this happens. my gut feeling tells me that it would make sense to simply take the server that is currently the least "successful" one (by looking at the average player count it has). that should be server 1.
it's no goal server, which is probably the reason why it doesn't attract as many players as the other servers. so maybe we should convert this one to FIRS and also make it a goal server (as suggested by alex before)?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:10:36 pm by YorVeX »

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 10:49:21 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
mh, i was hoping that a common picture would form here about which server to convert to FIRS. however, it doesn't really seem that this happens. my gut feeling tells me that it would make sense to simply take the server that is currently the least "successful" one (by looking at the average player count it has). that should be server 1.
it's no goal server, which is probably the reason why it doesn't attract as many players as the other servers. so maybe we should convert this one to FIRS and also make it a goal server (as suggested by alex before)?

The question is what settings to choose for it. Here i hope that we`ll get some argumented suggestions. I`ll also participate by posting  the suggestions i would think for an ECS server but with 1 condition: I WILL ARGUMENT Everyone of them.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:47:05 am by alex879ro »