You are Here:
Autopauze on empty game

Author (Read 8613 times)

Autopauze on empty game
« on: May 25, 2013, 09:03:16 am »

imus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Something that I always wondered why you didn't use this but forgot to suggest.

It would probably be a good idea to automatically pause the games after a server restart until someone starts a company.
This would prevent some unfair advantage (for highscores) when someone can start in a later year without any competition. (For example #7 with monorail). Currently this is partially solved using an auto restart after an hour. That works good enough for the long goal games, but I think it's lacking on the short / micro games (especially #7).

Shouldn't be that hard to implement either, would it?
Some suggestions about when to pause exactly:
  • On server restart => unpause when someone starts a company.
  • same as previous but also when company reset and no other companies in game
  • game paused whenever there are no clients online and no company in game
  • same as previous but count AFK cients as being offline as well

Re: Autopauze on empty game
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 10:38:56 am »

Andreas

• I'm not THAT hot :)
    • View Profile
I like the idea, but what if we slightly simplify it to this:
Pause if there are no companies.

This way you do not need to worry about when companies get reset or about a player being afk or not. Also the game will still run if there is a company but no client (useful for long goals)
alex879ro: "Each player has a different knowledge of the game, and then we got Andreas :)"

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 07:33:44 pm »

Geert

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
when i want to make 30 bil i wont be playing for 20 hours in a row. I will be afk/sleeping etc
i like my company to make money :)

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:38:58 pm »

Knogle

• CB Wizard
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Very interesting idea, of course it's only useful when the server restarts (as mentioned), so time doesn't pass by while there are no companies.

I however disagree that AFK players would count as offline, I can only see this being useful when the server is empty, and only right after a restart, because if there's like a few years left till an automatic restart happens, it's no good if it's paused.. what if people are waiting to start a company after the server restarted.

Afaik, OpenTTD doesn't have a setting for this, but if should be fairly easy to do with a script, which is already included in xShunter.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 10:31:15 pm »

imus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ah right, didn't think of that situation :) I did give more options hoping to get some more feedback like this.

I fully agree with you guys to only pause when there are no companies. :)

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 07:24:27 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I don`t know if the game can paused when there are no companies...I`ll take a look into this...or perhaps someone knows this..

If it can`t, then we would have to ask xOR for this...since a feature has to be coded in xShunter.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 04:19:42 am »

naz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Autopause exists on btpro servers, so it should be able to be applied here, xOR would be best to figure that out.

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 08:59:46 pm »

imus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm almost sure it's possible. On openttdcoop they can pause the game whenever there are 0 or 1 clients in the game. And I expect that checking the amount of companies shouldn't give the biggest problems either.

Then again, I didn't look at the code and don't really have the time to really try and learn the used language(s) and figure out how to do it  myself right now :)

So for me, this is just a suggestion that might be liked by a lot of players and that should be possible to implement if the programmers can find the time to do this :) I do know that you guys are already working hard on other things, so I'm not expecting this to be done any time soon either.

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 04:51:40 am »

Knogle

• CB Wizard
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
It is quite possible, and fairly easy to do with a gamescript.