You are Here:
8 difficulty

Author (Read 14308 times)

8 difficulty
« on: July 25, 2012, 11:58:41 pm »

Cossack

• arl hook u in the gabber
    • View Profile
This is a concern i've had for some time and with the new forum i thought i might aswell start a thread on here to see what other people think. Personally, i believe there should be changes made to the settings in order to make things fairer. Either the map size should be increased or the start and end years are changed. Conventional railed technology is highly inferior on desert in comparison to temperate and i believe that getting monorails earlier on is a good solution. However, i may not the best suited to judge as i've only played a few games on there so i am interested to hear the opinions of everyone who has played on #8(and especially geert as he's probably to only person to have won consistently to my knowledge). I hope i'm not the only one who would like change on this server as it'll take a few people to agree for this to even be considered as an idea. So, what is everyone's thoughts on the matter?

Re: 8 difficulty
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 07:49:39 am »

Geert

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I heard some rumors they wanted to make some changes in the near future (start later and later end)

i finished this game once in 35 years  with pax lines only so its possible to start at year 2000 and still win it (if you build insanely fast)

but I agree about one thing I wont start at this map after 2010/2015 because then it hard to win. and after 2020 its almost impossible (especialy if they decrease pop growed in towns)

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 09:23:12 am »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
This is a concern i've had for some time and with the new forum i thought i might aswell start a thread on here to see what other people think. Personally, i believe there should be changes made to the settings in order to make things fairer. Either the map size should be increased or the start and end years are changed. Conventional railed technology is highly inferior on desert in comparison to temperate and i believe that getting monorails earlier on is a good solution. However, i may not the best suited to judge as i've only played a few games on there so i am interested to hear the opinions of everyone who has played on #8(and especially geert as he's probably to only person to have won consistently to my knowledge). I hope i'm not the only one who would like change on this server as it'll take a few people to agree for this to even be considered as an idea. So, what is everyone's thoughts on the matter?

Cossack, thank you for posting here:). We already agreed on some changes to make for server 8 and when deciding, i also thought about making it easier. As for your idea "make map bigger" ,  it would be possible ...it you would talk to the Open TTD devs and tell them to make map max bigger:) Until then i`m afraid that 2048 is max.

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 12:34:21 pm »

Cossack

• View Profile

Cossack, thank you for posting here:). We already agreed on some changes to make for server 8 and when deciding, i also thought about making it easier. As for your idea "make map bigger" ,  it would be possible ...it you would talk to the Open TTD devs and tell them to make map max bigger:) Until then i`m afraid that 2048 is max.

Ahh, well upon writing my post i didn't realize that there have been changes made since i last played. i'm pretty sure it was 1024x1024 last time :P

also,
I heard some rumors they wanted to make some changes in the near future (start later and later end)

i finished this game once in 35 years  with pax lines only so its possible to start at year 2000 and still win it (if you build insanely fast)

but I agree about one thing I wont start at this map after 2010/2015 because then it hard to win. and after 2020 its almost impossible (especialy if they decrease pop growed in towns)

>35 years
shiiiit man, that's impressive.

But if that's the case, then i agree. having only 70mph & 100mph trains for the first 40 years sucks. By the time you actually get to the trains that are capable of getting the income needed to win the game it's already half way through. And let's say i join just as the monos come out, it'd take me another 10 years just to get the income needed to build the line that would provide the income to actually win the game and by that time the majority or industries are either already being used or have disappeared completely. That sucks and it needs to change IMO.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 02:39:33 pm »

Batt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sure, that's exactly what we wanted to change: years to 1985-2090  :) but I think we need to decrease town growth rate somehow, since it's insane on the desert.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 08:41:39 pm »

Cossack

• View Profile
If town growth rate is fixed then it's settled? if so, i look forward to playing on the new and improved #8 over the coming days :P

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 05:21:58 pm »

geo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
u should cossack, cos we always try to look for the best options, so that the players can enjoy the game and have fun :D
Don't worry, be happy :D

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 11:17:09 am »

ST2

• View Profile
yup, at least in 1 thing we all agree, in reduce "town_growth_rate" as a balance trying (in other topic)... and I'll suggest it for #5 too  :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:29:10 am by ST2 »

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 08:27:37 pm »

Geert

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
for s5 too :)

only because of my system?

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 06:26:08 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
yup, at least in 1 thing we all agree, in reduce "town_growth_rate" as a balance trying (in other topic)... and I'll suggest it for #5 too  :)

Reducing town growth rate wouldn`t be a bad idea...even for server 5. Compared to other ideas that have been presented and repeated to me, this one seems ok....and i think it will make gameplay a bit more fair...and not so easy to win with towns.

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 12:28:36 am »

geo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I agree with alex, this is a good idea
Don't worry, be happy :D

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 01:27:06 pm »

YorVeX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • n-ice.org
sounds like we're going to change settings for 2 servers this weekend? let's talk about this on IRC alex and ST2