You are Here:

Poll

Should the rules about competition on (secondary) industries be changed?

No, leave it the way it is! Competition on all industries.
Yes, funded industries should be private. Competition should be allowed on all other industries.
Yes, you can only take goods from secondary industries if you also deliver to them.
Yes, no competition on secondary industries.
Other (please only use this option if you post a new suggestion to the thread or agree with an alternative posted there)
[Closed] Poll: Industry competition

Author (Read 12859 times)

[Closed] Poll: Industry competition
« on: May 15, 2013, 09:53:48 am »

Andreas

• I'm not THAT hot :)
    • View Profile
New poll update:

The majority of players (14 vs. 10) indicated that they think something should be changed about the rules of competition. Option 3 (competition only if you also deliver) will be hard and/or complicated to implement and judge and is therefore probably not a desirable option. Also only a minority (6/25 players) think that competition should be banned at all.

Therefore I have decided to close this poll and start a new one with only 2 options:
- Leave the rule as is. (competition is allowed on all industries)
- Funded industries are private

The new poll can be found here: http://www.n-ice.org/openttd/forum/index.php?topic=384.0

I anybody does not agree with me closing the poll or the options for the new poll, please let me know!

[Original message]

The last couple of days I have seen a number of people expressing that they think the rules about competition should be changed. This poll is to see how the opinions are.
Please only use this thread to discuss opinions related too competition. this mans: do not use this thread to discuss the blocking/50% rule or competition in towns and cities. Also this topic is not meant to discuss actions by any specific players or admins. Posts that are off topic will be moved or removed.

P.s.
Off course the outcome of the poll will be taken seriously but there are no guarantees that the outcome of this poll will lead to a change of the policy. First off all it might not be practically possible to implement, secondly the majority off the admin team has to agree and last but not least: the man that has put an incredible amount of work into this community (YorVex) should agree!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 04:46:28 pm by Andreas »
alex879ro: "Each player has a different knowledge of the game, and then we got Andreas :)"

Re: [Poll] Industry competition
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 01:16:59 pm »

Waldo

• Global Moderator
  • தமிழ் வாழ்க
    • View Profile
    • www.karthickn.com
How about a completely new server where you can claim 'x' number of industries and have exclusive rights to it just like we have in CB?

Two conditions:

• Just like CB where you can only claim a town whose population is < 500, here you can only claim an industry that produces < 80 units of a particular cargo.
  • You can't change an industry after you've claimed it

This should be possible with this new version of OpenTTD but
the majority of the admin team has to agree and last but not least: the man that has put an incredible amount of work into this community (YorVex) should agree!

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 01:20:22 pm by Waldo »
And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 02:45:06 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I just told Dobro last night that a poll is not required and Beul posts one the next day :P  Now that you posted it....please leave it for at least 1 week...so most players can enter and vote.... I`ll try to advertise it myself from time to time..

@Waldo : You cannot have a special server because (this was originally xOR`s point of view, now shared by me too) that would make players not understand the rules. So same rules for all the servers. It might be a chance tho...to make HALF the server 1 way and the other HALF the other way.

For example on half the servers we agree with claiming industries, on the others we don`t. This might be something to think about. But any other number would dis-orient players...

Also...making a server like a CB is almost impossible because a CB consumes huge resources for a couple of towns. If you would try to do this for industries it wouldn`t be viable...

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 09:12:38 pm »

BlueFox

• View Profile
I have no problem with this rule, but i think its not fairplay.

But if you also deliver to them, i think its fair....  :o

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 09:55:27 pm »

Batt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Voted for "Yes, you can only take goods from secondary industries if you also deliver to them". Competition is fun.

I think it's reasonable to compete over primary industries (mines, forests, etc) because if players will "own everything" there won't be much space to play, especially in the late game (a lot of mines getting closed). Competition won't hurt - usually it helps to grow production on mines (etc) faster. Leeching goods is painful for profits - yes.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 10:34:41 pm »

Batt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
"it helps to grow production on mines (etc) faster."
I dont think you believe in this yourself.You are talking like politicians.

I said "usually"  :P a lot of situations when transported rating is below 80%, so competition helps to up the rating. More rating = more production.

I have no problem if someone's competing with me.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:36:28 pm by Batt »

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 10:59:26 pm »

imus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'd keep all industries fair game for everyone. With that I mean, you can steal any recourse as long as it is for your own good and as a bonus slowing down your opponent. If it's obvious that you're only taking goods/food to the nearest city using buses that barely make any profit (read sabotage) I'm entirely against it.

So I guess that means keep it as it is now :)

@Bluefox: And what if I just create a short truck line with 2 trucks"delivering" to the industry, then it's still fair game? The rule's only going to get more confusing.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:11:01 pm by imus »

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 11:25:27 pm »

naz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Someone supplying truck load and taking train load will bring up the argument "who's right / who's wrong" and " I am not breaking any rules".
Its been a almost a year since this topic was discussed, may be its time for a change, only time will tell if change is good or bad.
There are more "spoilers" than "fair-players" out there.

:)

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 03:36:33 am »

Waldo

• Global Moderator
  • தமிழ் வாழ்க
    • View Profile
    • www.karthickn.com
I was playing taken and arctic-tycooners <- (best settings and GRFs on entire network) where you are owning everything(cities and mines too).

I don't think owning everything would be fun. Competition should be there. You get the motivation to level up only when you compete.. is it not? Partially owning a few industries can be allowed though..
And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 04:20:50 pm »

Andreas

• View Profile
There are more "spoilers" than "fair-players" out there.

Nah, I do not think that is true. The thing is the spoilers draw all the attention and often scream murder when you reset/ban them. Besides that 1 spoiler can ruin the game for a lot of fair players.
But if you want to see for yourself, come and join the irc channel sometime. You will see there are not really that many admin calls.
alex879ro: "Each player has a different knowledge of the game, and then we got Andreas :)"

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 08:56:47 pm »

naz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thank you Andreas for correcting me. I am terrible at putting thoughts into words. Should have quoted phrases like "Bad apple/egg in a basket" and "Bad fish in a pond". Of course there are many "Good" players against MINORITY BAD ones. And its these good ones that make N-Ice community really really N-ICE. :)

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 11:08:42 am »

kris indonesia

• View Profile
 ;D vote no 1

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 01:38:29 pm »

Dobro

• View Profile
What will happan if:
 1 - 30%
 2 - 25%
 3 - 10%
 4 - 25%
 5 - 10%

That's why i never vote. Opposition must be split.
It looks like the Russian (sure not only Russian) presidential election.  BIG ROFL
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:40:46 pm by Dobro »

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 04:19:47 pm »

Andreas

• View Profile
Update:

The majority of players (14 vs. 10) indicated that they think something should be changed about the rules of competition. Option 3 (competition only if you also deliver) will be hard and/or complicated to implement and judge and is therefore probably not a desirable option. Also only a minority (3 players) think that competition should be banned at all.

Therefore I have decided to close this poll and start a new one with only 2 options:
- Leave the rule as is. (competition is allowed on all industries)
- Funded industries are private

The new poll can be found here: http://www.n-ice.org/openttd/forum/index.php?topic=384.0

I anybody does not agree with me closing the poll or the options for the new poll, please let me know!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 04:25:52 pm by Andreas »