You are Here:
download map

Author (Read 4900 times)

download map
« on: April 19, 2013, 04:08:12 pm »

kris indonesia

• View Profile
sure my connection is poor, i try download the map but it disconnected about 50 - 90 % downloading, it's happened when the map is bout 2Mb. and my question is, am i disconnected because my poor connection, or it's time limit to download the map? cos i can connect to server when i can download the map fast,

sorry for bad English

Re: download map
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 10:55:41 am »

imus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There is a timeout if it takes too long. This is to prevent a really slow player to cause lag for all the other players and is used everywhere in OpenTTD, not only on n-ice.

How long it takes depends both on your connection speed and the server. if the server is really heavily loaded (lots of trains, over-use of PBS, etc..) lots of people will have problems connecting, even with a fast connection. It helps if the game is paused every time a player gets connected but this disrupts the gameplay for everyone already playing.

So there's probably little they can do about that besides trying to get the server load down (also hard thing to do, they already limit boats for this reason). Only thing I can think of that isn't happening now is educate people to use PBS correctly :p.

Re: download map
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:05:56 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Interesting post:) I`m glad to see someone thinking this way.  But I must also add to what you said the will of people to introduce big servers. Those servers cause even a bigger load on the machine. That`s why we are trying to limit the growth of large to only what`s necesary.

Back when we only had one machine, the desire of implementing such server was normal (we only had server 5)  But right now, without a very good idea, I consider it out of logic since we already have servers 5,8,k4,k5 and recently k9 has been introduced. This is just the will of some players to play a little longer with their companies even if such a thing is a problem (1 company creating more lag since most of the players do not play after a certain time has passed   EX: half the period of the server has passed

Also from what I noticed , most players don`t think about this. They just ask for bigger servers all the time and when the lag problem appears, it`s also them who come and complain "Hey, I can`t connect , fix it!"  The only question is what to fix.

The dumbest requests come like "Enlarge Desert Micro Goal!" when actually we have a Desert Small Goal and a Desert Medium Goal already

So I must admit that we still haven`t found a good solution to fix the lag problem.

Education and understanding can play a vital role in this but I don`t think that they`ll solve this...