You are Here:
Inappropriate admin behavior - Geert

Author (Read 8278 times)

Inappropriate admin behavior - Geert
« on: October 09, 2012, 08:43:30 am »

zharko

• View Profile
Hi all

Today at about 2am CET time I was playing on server n-ice.org #5 (15 billions goal), when something very unpleasent happened. One of the admins - Geert came along, and did something an admin should not do.

Here is what happened: I was playing with some guys there and we were having fun, when Geert appeared in the game. He started harressing everyone to "follow the rules" on the server, and that he was getting impatient. I vaguely remember him saying something along the lines "the only reason you are not banned is because I have patience...". Should an admin be saying this kind of stuff? Nobody was really breaking the rules, well maybe there were rules broken... but there was no abuse, if there were rules broken it was not with bad intentions, if you have log please check it and decide for yourself. I tried to explain Geert what is going on in the game, I was about to go to bed and didnt have time to clean my mess in the game, but the point was it was not a mass created intentionally to break rules, but because of inexperience in the game rather... He kicked me from my company, and what I realized after the game is that I was banned from the server !!! My god

Now it would be nice if you unban me, but that's not the primary reason why I am writing here. What stroke me is Geert's behavior. Do you need admins behaving like gestapo in the game ? I thought admins are in the game to prevent abuse and resolve conflicts among players, not exercise frustrations on normal people. Please revoke the admin rights of Geert, or educate him that he is not god in the game and there are behavior manners an admin should follow. My point here is not whether he is right or not, but his gestapo attitude, an admin should definitely not have that.

Thank you very much

Regards to all
Zharko

P.S. you're doing great job with this server, very nice

Re: Inappropriate admin behavior - Geert
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 09:26:07 am »

Andreas

• I'm not THAT hot :)
    • View Profile
well first of all I am not an admin, but I saw the the whole discussion and this is what I have to say about it:

He started harressing everyone to "follow the rules" on the server, and that he was getting impatient.
As you correctly state, he is an admin and  that makes it his 'job' to make people follow the rules. Secondly taking 25 minutes to explain it to you and only getting relpies klike, it's with good intentions, and I'm tired, and you ruin the fun is not my idea of impatience.

I vaguely remember him saying something along the lines "the only reason you are not banned is because I have patience...". Should an admin be saying this kind of stuff?
Well what he said there is true, if other admins were online the discussion woud have ended 20 minutes earlier with a ban for you or you cleaning it up much faster. Furthermore this was a reply to your remark that you would come back another time when hopelfully he would not be arround. He had a very valid point that if it is not him but some other admin you will get less patience.

Nobody was really breaking the rules, well maybe there were rules broken... but there was no abuse, if there were rules broken it was not with bad intentions, if you have log please check it and decide for yourself.
Dude? seriously no rules broken? You both were blocking cities with reserved land and used station spread. Intentions don't matter (well maybe for desicoin to ban or warn you, or the lengt of a possible ban, but is does not make it "not breaking any rules".

I tried to explain Geert what is going on in the game, I was about to go to bed and didnt have time to clean my mess in the game, but the point was it was not a mass created intentionally to break rules, but because of inexperience in the game rather...
If going to bed/being tired is a valid reason to break rules or not to clean it up it will erupt in chaos. And actually you planning on leaving is a good argument to clean it up imediately. If you leave your company will block the city for people that join after you. I'm not sure if it was you or your friend that did the station spread, but that is abusing game mechanics to get an advantage, and therefor considered cheating.
As stated before, intentions don't change facts.

He kicked me from my company, and what I realized after the game is that I was banned from the server !!! My god
That was after 25 minutes in wich you kept: not listening, giving the same replies, building on, actually everything exept listening and cleaning up the mess created by YOU, not Geert

Now it would be nice if you unban me, but that's not the primary reason why I am writing here.
Will not reply to this cause I actually don't have much to do with the servers other than that I like playing here and that I think Geert was doing exactly as he should.

What stroke me is Geert's behavior. Do you need admins behaving like gestapo in the game ? I thought admins are in the game to prevent abuse and resolve conflicts among players, not exercise frustrations on normal people.
They are there to prevent abuse, and that is exactly what he was doing, clearly you have a little trouble understanding that intentions and no other players in a server do not change the rules.

Please revoke the admin rights of Geert, or educate him that he is not god in the game and there are behavior manners an admin should follow. My point here is not whether he is right or not, but his gestapo attitude, an admin should definitely not have that.
He is being educated, that is why he is a trail admin as can be seen here: http://n-ice.org/openttd/admins.php (I would even personally suggest that his behavior yesterday should promote him to full admin ;), but that aside)

And because I have no official capacity here I will add this: stop whining, and just play by the rules like most other people, and if I were an admin I would programme an autoban for the line: Now you ruined/took all the fun out of the game!

Cheers
alex879ro: "Each player has a different knowledge of the game, and then we got Andreas :)"

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:58:46 am »

Geert

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanx Andreas i think you wrote almost anything i should have written :)

first of all i could have locked your company after say 2-5 minutes according to the rules. And i waited more then 20 minutes to give you a chance. Maybe i am too patient? You owned almost all the roads in 2 towns, blocking other players with unused stations(not used after 20 years thats 4.5 hours) and many roads far outside the cities for expansion reasons. Thats a major rulebreak on rule 4!!

Secondly You werent listening to my requests to remove the stations. I could'nt even explain the point of the blocking with roads because you kept saying the same thing over and over again.
i also had to deal also with your ''friend" who used more reserve land stuff i ever saw in a server. and he used satelites on top of that.

I guess your way of having fun is breaking the rules and not listening to admins.
i wasnt angry this night about your behaviour, but now after this forum post im pissed.

My only regret is now that i didnt lock your company after 2 minutes in stead of 20

My point here is not whether he is right or not, but his gestapo attitude, an admin should definitely not have that.

.............maybe players like you make admins in the gestapo sort of people you speak of?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:05:12 am by Geert »

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 10:01:58 am »

ST2

• View Profile
Haven't seen the situations ingame but, as Andreas, saw the whole discussion, and second his opinions: Geert acted well, had lots of patience, pointed what was wrong, explained why, asked to fix and waited... a lot! I guess not much to add here, unless that I think it's a tempban so, nothing that time won't fix :)

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 10:04:52 am »

zharko

• View Profile
With so many retarded morons on this server I guess my place is not here... OK good to know.

Cheers

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 10:12:14 am »

Andreas

• I'm not THAT hot :)
    • View Profile
With so many retarded morons on this server I guess my place is not here... OK good to know.

Cheers
With such a retarded reaction I should not even bother, but I am stubborn and therefor would like to know if you have any argumented response to my reaction.
If you plan on leaving: good luck finding decent server where what you did is allowed...
alex879ro: "Each player has a different knowledge of the game, and then we got Andreas :)"

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 11:58:37 am »

geo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
As an admin, i can only say this: i am proud of being in the same team as Geert.
Aren't you ashamed of yourself??? No, i guess you are not. I can only say this to you, after i have read everything which was written here: if u aren't banned right now, i will make sure that you are. Not only for your wrong-doings in the game, but also for your comportament and language.
Thank you, and good bye
Don't worry, be happy :D

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 02:49:30 pm »

YorVeX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • n-ice.org

Cheers
thanks for invalidating all your former arguments (and possible future arguments), showing what type of person you really are and assuring us all of the correctness of the actions that have been taken. i absolutely agree that your place is not here and conversion of the temporary ban to a permanent ban now will make sure you won't have any such bad experiences again (e.g. servers where rules are actually taken serious).

@Geert: good job here.

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 03:17:21 pm »

Knogle

• CB Wizard
  • Administrator
    • View Profile