You are Here:
Not fair competition

Author (Read 10055 times)

Not fair competition
« on: August 12, 2012, 08:00:19 pm »

vitalikk2005

• View Profile
There happened a forbidden trick from player Cossack that possibly prevented me from winning this game. Notice his long trains standing in a depot.

autosave6.sav

Re: Not fair competition
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 10:06:32 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I`ll check the auto-save tomorrow(don`t have the time now). If that is true, i propose tempbanning cossack for 1-3 days but before we do that, we wait for him to enter the server and tell him. Maybe this way he would learn his lesson. But the trains not used are still influencing the scoring? From what i remember , xor fixed that problem, hasn`t he?

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 10:20:02 pm »

ST2

• View Profile
Cossack already knew that he was on tightrope (at least for me and for several reasons, as he knows :P).

Since he has been active on the forum, lets wait for his answer, and see how he reacts to his behaviour and what he have to say.

And yes influences, and rather, the company's value but not the performance rating, due the vehicles are less the 2 years. Probably he gets a bit less points because of vehicle number used on points formula. Still, a very unfair way to reach CV goal so, sanctionable.

TIP to all: If you spot something similar, use !admin trigger (!admin <reason>). A savegame is automatically created, wich makes admins life a bit easier for further analysis.

Edit:
also you can get caught easily. the cheating can even be seen 2 months later just by looking at the database. because i see with how many trains you finished and how long you took. with your trick your ratio of game length to the number vehicles you had will be obviously differing from the average, probably by something as high as 500%. i already have plans to search for such anomalies automatically and if we find your account ALL your scores will be reset. if you're lucky. otherwise you also get a ban and/or the whole account deleted.
so the risk is quite high.
Some words to players see what can happen when buying/selling vehicles massively only to reach the goal
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 10:44:37 pm by ST2 »

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:42:47 pm »

Cossack

• arl hook u in the gabber
    • View Profile
he was too good, he was just too good.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 10:17:16 pm »

Cossack

• View Profile
But, if i can explain myself... I was reading the rules thoroughly the night before and i didn't see anything that was remotely related to what i did. I thought, yes, it's cheeky but it wasn't breaking the rules. However, if this is considered an illegal move then rest assured i won't be doing it again. Also, my apologies go to Vitalikk, you played so good in that game. too good for me.

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 03:36:07 pm »

vitalikk2005

• View Profile
The problem we have here is that we don't (and cannot?) have all possible tricks described and forbidden/allowed in the rules explicitly. That is why such situations arise - a smart player discovers a trick, doesn't find it being forbidden in the written rules, and hence assumes it not to be fobidden.  And if we only generally say about 'unfair advantage', there will be different opinions about what is fair and what is not.

I don't see any natural solution to this except making the rules more detailed. But there is an obvious downside to this: players reading examples of unfair play might want to try them. Still, my personal preference is to not have forbidden information.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:41:08 pm by vitalikk2005 »

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 06:21:22 pm »

ST2

• View Profile
as vitalikk2005 said, it's impossible to give specific examples for all what is allowed or not and most of the time, we let common sense function
so, usually, most rules are generic as possible, always trying to keep them understandable.

But, in my opinion, Cossack's action violate this ones:
- "Don't cheat to advance yourself within the game." point, in official Multiplayer Rules
- Even enforced by 12. Exploiting, in n-ice Detailed rules

But I think Cossack will get the correct answer by himself when he answer this question: Is that a normal usage of train locomotives?

Basically, the idea that we try to convey is: "You may not use an object/entity differently from how it was intended to be used". Generic, simple and understandable :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 11:00:09 pm by YorVeX »

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 07:41:08 pm »

Cossack

• View Profile

Basically, the idea that we try to convey is: "You may not use an object/entity differently from how it was intended to be used". Generic, simple and understandable :)

Now this is clear cut, easy to understand and covers every unwritten trick i know of well.

Also, how about a 'forbidden tricks' thread? yes, players will learn cheats but they'll also know not to use them too and the only times they can use these cheats would be when they're not playing on n-ice. I think i'd be able to contribute a few forbidden tricks i've picked up over time.

one more thing, the rule 'don't cheat to advance yourself in the game' is so vague. also, the definition of 'cheat' would be to break the rules so i kind of feel like this rule basically says 'don't break any of the rules in order to advance yourself within the game'.

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 09:02:23 pm »

Mediv

• View Profile
What exactly was the trick ?

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 11:22:07 am »

Thanatos

• View Profile
Hello.
A have the complaint to player Hecupuruka on Server 2 (CB3000) for unfair game. He blocked my and nobody !admin had requested.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 08:02:36 pm »

Chucky

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Player was punished with a 3 days ban for unfair behavior.

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 10:34:31 pm »

Thanatos

• View Profile
Can anybody do that? (Spread cheating?) It is like big car station and increasing the coverage area for railstation. This is done twice and a second time it is a little bit unfair to me (Red Player).
Name: Ukerazex ([AFK] Ukerazex). Time: ~22:00. Date: 15/09/19
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:40:54 pm by Thanatos »

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 07:25:20 pm »

Chucky

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Naturally this kind of station is not allowed. Next time you can try to inform the player about our rules. If the player do not reacts then please call an admin by placing a sign like !admin station cheating. If no admin is online the map is saved for a later check. Since the player is not registered I cannot reduce the points as punishment.