You are Here:
What about new servers? Maybe some fundraising required?

Author (Read 4718 times)

What about new servers? Maybe some fundraising required?
« on: June 05, 2021, 08:01:19 pm »

Odd

• View Profile
I want new n-ice servers. And as I know, some people are looking for new servers too.

What can we do to help create new servers?

Maybe we can start gathering some money for that? I would like to participate.

Re: What about new servers? Maybe some fundraising required?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 08:16:20 pm »

iSoSyS

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hey,
I'm not the most suitable person to fully answer this, but I can give some clues from what I have heard.

So currently we only have a single dedicated machine where all Openttd servers run (#1 till #10), in this machine we simply cannot add more servers, there isn't enough free computing for that. We can rework some less popular server(s), but simply adding is not possible.

Next, can we add more machines all under the same "umbrella" all connect and integrated with the website? Yes, it is possible. It is something we have done in the past. There used to machine "k" and machine "x", each running a few servers. This machines were kindly donated, and we were happy to have them.

Now the most tricky part. From what I gather, you want to pool money to get a new machine? Maybe something like patreon, liberapay, or even direct donation? That can get hairy really fast, but I guess it is worth a shot to devise some plan everyone can agree on.

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 05:44:43 am »

jjppxxx

• View Profile
Hey,
I'm not the most suitable person to fully answer this, but I can give some clues from what I have heard.

So currently we only have a single dedicated machine where all Openttd servers run (#1 till #10), in this machine we simply cannot add more servers, there isn't enough free computing for that. We can rework some less popular server(s), but simply adding is not possible.

Next, can we add more machines all under the same "umbrella" all connect and integrated with the website? Yes, it is possible. It is something we have done in the past. There used to machine "k" and machine "x", each running a few servers. This machines were kindly donated, and we were happy to have them.

Now the most tricky part. From what I gather, you want to pool money to get a new machine? Maybe something like patreon, liberapay, or even direct donation? That can get hairy really fast, but I guess it is worth a shot to devise some plan everyone can agree on.

how much cost buying a new machine/processig unit?

for curiosity purpose, do you know the specs of the current processing unit? the model of the processor, for example.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 10:58:16 am »

Odd

• View Profile
iSoSyS, thank you for making it more clear.

Yes, I would like to donate. But firstly we need a plan. My message is for someone competent, who can handle this: figure out, what machine is required, count a budget and start money gathering campaign.

And also my message is a way to check if there is a will to handle that. Because if anyone who can do that is busy or unmotivated, nothing will be done.

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 08:26:27 pm »

Kyrre

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Er, well what i'd suggest is that a pool of money is used so that a cut off period for server fee's can be supplied to the players (who by large wont be paying), for a 6 monthly period; thus a certain amount of money has to be in the account before the server goes live to ensure that it continues, when it's running out, the server will have 6 months until it's gone, or refunding is found.  Technical aspects aren't my forte.