You are Here:
Breakdowns or No Breakdowns

Author (Read 11886 times)

Breakdowns or No Breakdowns
« on: August 05, 2012, 10:18:01 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Server 4 is our winter server. It was designed to be a medium goal. What would you think about changing settings into "NO BREAKDOWS"
Please argument your answer.

Re: Breakdowns or No Breakdowns
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:53:08 pm »

Batt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I suggest to rename this topic to "Save the Server #4!". My answer is breakdowns off.

Most popular servers (3,5,8) are set to no breakdowns. It's a general tendency that players don't like breakdowns at all. The only exception is server #6, which is a special one supposed to be hard and creates additional difficulties with various settings for hardcore players. Those hardcore players are care the most about harsh start, so mostly they are not interested in chasing longer goal. It reminds them of original TTD game. IMHO, there is no need in additional hard server, especially in 'when-this-thing-finally-ends' medium goal.

I played on #4 and breakdowns annoyed me. Sometimes I want a proper medium goal server because it is very nice to have for tournaments. I also like the white color. Let's save the server!
Go white.  :P

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:57:01 pm by Batt »

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 09:37:26 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I suggest to rename this topic to "Save the Server #4!". My answer is breakdowns off.

Most popular servers (3,5,8) are set to no breakdowns. It's a general tendency that players don't like breakdowns at all. The only exception is server #6, which is a special one supposed to be hard and creates additional difficulties with various settings for hardcore players. Those hardcore players are care the most about harsh start, so mostly they are not interested in chasing longer goal. It reminds them of original TTD game. IMHO, there is no need in additional hard server, especially in 'when-this-thing-finally-ends' medium goal.

I played on #4 and breakdowns annoyed me. Sometimes I want a proper medium goal server. It is very nice to have for tournaments. I also like the white color. Let's save the server!
Go white.  :P

Hehe...you gotta love Batt:)  C`mon people...we need opinions!!

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 10:49:15 pm »

ST2

• View Profile
my humble opinion:
- agree on turn vehicle_breakdowns = 0
-->> this will require a pair of balancing elements/settings:
- Decrease the "larger_towns" (maybe 6 - 1 in 6 is big/City)
- Decrease "initial_city_size" value
- Since trains are power enough, with good tractive effort and no breakdowns, turn "freight_trains" to 3
- keep the "town_growth_rate", as the station spread, vehicles max length and the other values

I think will make games funnier, more balanced.... and well, for now is what I remember  ;D

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 05:47:03 pm »

Cossack

• arl hook u in the gabber
    • View Profile
i don't mean to insult #4, but does anyone even play in there? Whenever i've visited it's been like a ghost town

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 07:20:47 pm »

YorVeX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • n-ice.org
i don't mean to insult #4, but does anyone even play in there? Whenever i've visited it's been like a ghost town
poor server 4. it hates you now!  >:(
better watch it, it might kick you on sight!

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 07:43:53 pm »

Geert

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
i played s4 several times. And I have to say the breakdowns are quite anoying. I think thats the lone reason why no one is there.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 07:50:37 pm »

YorVeX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • n-ice.org
ok i think we had enough opinions. on IRC we also talked about ST2's proposals and we agreed on them too (also nothing was said against them here on the thread):

my humble opinion:
- agree on turn vehicle_breakdowns = 0
-->> this will require a pair of balancing elements/settings:
- Decrease the "larger_towns" (maybe 6 - 1 in 6 is big/City)
- Decrease "initial_city_size" value
- Since trains are power enough, with good tractive effort and no breakdowns, turn "freight_trains" to 3
- keep the "town_growth_rate", as the station spread, vehicles max length and the other values

I think will make games funnier, more balanced.... and well, for now is what I remember  ;D

the changes have been applied. enjoy  8)

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 08:43:45 pm »

YorVeX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • n-ice.org
after the change it has 11 players right now, hence is the currently most popular n-ice server.

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 01:29:44 am »

ST2

• View Profile
after some chat's with alex879ro and watched couple games on #4, after last changings, maybe some more are needed :P (xOR will answer to this: cmon, decide yourself)
but here we go:
- Decrease "initial_city_size" value to to minimum (there's still ~6 towns above 4K, some even with more then 5K population)

now, only to don't create similar posts on each server forum :P
from the same chats, other ideias came out:
- also apply the above suggestion on servers #5 and #8;
- make "max_ships = 0" on servers #3, #5 and #8 (basically aren't used for being inefficient in long runs, no more worries with boats transfer cheat and server cpu's will say thanks :D);
- make "station_spread = 14" "max_train_length = 14" instead of Station spread: 20 tile(s), Train length: 64 tile(s), on servers #2 and #3 - and I think not even necessary change the vehicle limits;
- Change to Station spread: 14 tile(s) and Train length: 14 tile(s) but decrease Ships to 50, on servers #1 (well, it's a 512x512 map with max 300 trains) - Op Optional Option ( ;D ;D ;D)
- Since server #8 is long run, Station spread: 18 tile(s) and Train length: 18 tile(s) is my new suggestion;

hmmm alex879ro, I think I've catched correctly the ideias of our conversation :)
Anything to add/remove/modify to the above suggestions, always welcome :)