Towns can build roads

Author (Read 8148 times)

Towns can build roads
« on: March 04, 2014, 05:02:10 pm »

Marter

• View Profile
H,

<Marter>: I was just wondering why towns build roads is enabled on server 2
<Marter>: because afaik building roads wastes attempts by the town to build houses
<Marter>: + they build roads where you do not want them
<Marter>: hm
<Knogle>: It used to be disabled, afaik.
<Knogle>: I suggest you make a suggestion about  the change on our forum.

so hereby a suggestion on the forum :)

Re: Towns can build roads
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 07:05:06 pm »

imus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Good suggestion, (someone like me might move it to the suggestions thread later if it fits there better tho ^.^).

Reasons I see to disable the setting:
  • you have better control to optimize the space a town has to build buildings (instead of roads)
  • euhm ... that's all?

Reasons I see to keep allowing towns to build roads on their own:
  • new players that don't know they can build roads on their own to aid town growth will never reach the goal (you'd be surprised how many newbies we got on our servers)
  • Building roads early makes the town dislike you which then causes slower growth ... you might want to reconsider building all roads on your own from the start even tho it speeds up the town growth overall.

If anyone knows other reasons to enable/disable this setting, feel free to add them :)
If you are still convinced that the setting should be disabled feel free to respond here, we could set up a vote to see if other people agree with you.

New ideas or improvements to settings like this are always welcome ofcourse ^.^
(but don't expect an immediate change since we need some time to consider the consequences first and if the majority agrees, explain a change to our players as well)

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 07:52:24 pm »

Marter

• View Profile
well my main reason for the suggestion was not the layout but this: (quote from the  OTTD Towns wiki page)

Pre-built road networks can speed up town growth, as the town can build houses all the time instead of houses plus roads. If towns are allowed to build roads and the road layout is a grid, the pre-built roads should match this grid, otherwise they block house tiles.

Atm the roads the town builds (besides the above) cause dead ends which as I have been told are also bad for growth....

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 07:55:26 pm »

The_Dude

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Novapolis
Definitely disable for city builder games.

You can then increase growth and have full control of town layout, which has great impact. Building roads does not decrease town rating unless you build over trees. New players can always ask, it is common practice to learn from advanced players too.

On the other hand, disabling it may even attract more players, who avoids n-ice CB because of this feature.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 09:02:40 pm »

Marter

• View Profile
On the other hand, disabling it may even attract more players, who avoids n-ice CB because of this feature.
Pun intended?

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 11:16:37 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I agree with the proposal. I`ll try to modify it tomorrow. Imus, maybe we can find some time to talk this week. I have something which requires your attention.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:18:31 pm by alex879ro »