You are Here:
Road Only

Author (Read 9778 times)

Road Only
« on: January 18, 2014, 05:08:40 am »

phmadore

• View Profile
I would like to see a server which disallowed everything but road transportation. I think there are plenty of servers which are conducive to railroads (in many cases, the guy who gets there earliest and builds trains the fastest will win...). I've always found the road vehicles to be much more challenging, and the variety of vehicles to be more fun. It might even be fun to use one of the alternate vehicle sets that are out there; when I play offline, I use Long Vehicles v4. It is a situation where any of the trucks will serve most purposes, but you have to pay out a little to refit the vehicle for your purpose. The vehicles are much better looking, there is a much wider variety, and so forth. But that could be optional. I would just really love to see a server which had a map that was good for roads (lots of height variations make it more challenging) and didn't allow rail, air, or sea.

It might also be nice if there was just one server which allowed us to use sea or air, one or both. Kind of frustrating when all the oil rigs pop up in a CV match.

Just a thought!

Have a good night!

Paul

Re: Road Only
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 11:01:00 am »

Chucky

• Administrator
    • View Profile
hi,

we had a server called "Road King", but we must cancel it due the lost of a rootserver. Sure we can reinstall it as fast as we get more power and it´s demanded by other players.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 12:54:49 am »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
We do have such a server in our consideration. Currently we are adding one more machine to our network and when this process finishes, we will be able to add more servers. When oil rigs pop in a cv game is a reference to server 8 I guess. Such a server was very popular. This is the only reason for keeping it. Players like easy games.

As for making a server with only road,water,airplanes, it would be possible, but there are certain aspects to consider:
1: If you allow airplanes, trucks become useless....most of the players only use them to supply cargo to the airports because the profit is much bigger with airplanes
2: Ships overload the server, demanding a lot more CPU then it normally does. This is why almost all our servers have the ships max number set to 0

If you take those 2 arguments into consideration, the result is obvious: Have 1 road server and have 1 airplane server.

This is exactly what we`re thinking right now :)

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 09:27:44 am »

imus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Agreed with alex :) We're waiting for the new server to get in operation before setting up those new (or old =D) server ideas.

The problem with road vehicles indeed is that they don't generate much profit in the base set. You used the Long Vehicles v4 to solve that but using a newGRF on our servers means they will stay near empty. I guess most people don't realize all they have to do is press that "download missing newGRF" button when they can't join a server with newGRF's they don't have yet ...

Maybe later we could try again with a FIRS asphalt king with a nicer vehicle set ... but I doubt it would work :p

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 01:11:18 pm »

Andreas

• I'm not THAT hot :)
    • View Profile
The problem with road vehicles indeed is that they don't generate much profit in the base set. You used the Long Vehicles v4 to solve that but using a newGRF on our servers means they will stay near empty. I guess most people don't realize all they have to do is press that "download missing newGRF" button when they can't join a server with newGRF's they don't have yet ...

The problem is more that servers with a newgrf mismatch (missing or outdated) get a yellow dot and are automatically sorted down in the server list. This means that players without the custom client simply don't even see the server.

Now on the subject of roads and planes combined: as of 1.4.0 (stable release can be expected within a few months) Cargodist is included. What cargodist does is provide cargo with a destination that is reachable through your network. This opens up some possibilities for road vehicles combined by planes:

Without cargodist you need to rely on a quite complex order set with transfer orders and so on to get cargo from bus stops in a town/city to the airport. This also means that busses only take passengers to the airport, but drive back empty. With cargodist enabled, you only need to link the busses up with the airports, and transfers are handled automagically :). This means that the airport itself does not even have to accept passengers! you can use the same busses to supply and take away the pax from the airport. This opens up the possibility to set noise concerns real strict (and thus almost forbid airports near towns) and still be able to use airports. (I am planning to play such a game soon and will include some screenshots to explain what I mean)
alex879ro: "Each player has a different knowledge of the game, and then we got Andreas :)"

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 02:50:44 pm »

phmadore

• View Profile
Well, I'm excited to hear that there will be a road only map soon!

:)

I think the goals should be substantially lower since, as you say, it's harder to make big scores with the road vehicles.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 08:31:04 pm »

phmadore

• View Profile
So, I've played on the road only map a bunch of times, and I like it a lot. I think there should maybe be a desert version of it, or that the server should rotate between desert and temperate. But I've been playing it as often as I can, while still playing server #3 and a couple others. Thank you guys so much for doing it.