your computer took too long to join server
« on: December 08, 2013, 02:08:15 pm »

kris indonesia

• View Profile
1. i have internet connection problem
2. my connection usually 20 - 30 KBps " when downloading map "
3. when i already login it's only need 3 KBps to play
4. I'm lucky when my connection get 100 KBps it will easily download the map
5. it's normal for me to get massage " your computer took too long to join server "
6. i know it's my problem and i always avoid big map but i fall in love with server #6 " usually i play on #3"
7. when i download some file on internet my connection usually bout 200 KBps - 600 KBps

and the suggestion is
1. is there a way to adjust waiting time to join server ?

TQ  8)

Re: your computer took too long to join server
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 03:22:06 pm »

sherc

• View Profile
i think you've answered your own question ... your internet connection is probably too slow, and btw, i think server #2 would be most suitable for you, since the map size is 512x512, which i think is the smallest

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 04:52:43 pm »

kris indonesia

• View Profile
#2 is not an option for me  ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 04:54:53 pm by kris indonesia »

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 12:53:05 am »

Sweety

• View Profile
If you are getting from 200kbps to 600kbps while downloading some random files then your slow connection speed to n-ice might be caused by beign passed through a server that got very slow speed. Changing your DNS might help. Try changing your DNS to google ones which are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. If this wont help then I'm afraid you are stuck with bad connection to the openttd servers (there is a chance that some other DNS services might give you better route to connect with n-ice but unfortunately you would have to find and test those yourself).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:56:27 am by Sweety »

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 01:44:10 am »

kris indonesia

• View Profile
my connection is 200 KBps to 600 KBps not Kbps lol  ;D

i'll try your idea and i hope it will help me TQ " i'll tell the result next time "

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 12:57:58 pm »

iSoSyS

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The only thing that could help you server side is enable pause_on_join. But such setting will hardly be enable again, even if it isn't bugged as it used to be. Such setting is just plain annoying to the players already inside the server.
From your side upgrading either your hardware or your connection would help. Your hardware because once you get the map(even if very slowly) what matter the most is the hardware since it have to catch up the ticks it lost. Your connection because it reduces the map download time and therefore reduces the ticks to catch up. openttd-dev rellated post

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 03:44:34 pm »

kris indonesia

• View Profile
If you are getting from 200kbps to 600kbps while downloading some random files then your slow connection speed to n-ice might be caused by beign passed through a server that got very slow speed. Changing your DNS might help. Try changing your DNS to google ones which are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. If this wont help then I'm afraid you are stuck with bad connection to the openttd servers (there is a chance that some other DNS services might give you better route to connect with n-ice but unfortunately you would have to find and test those yourself).

:-* woahhh tq to you, i got better connection, sometime i can get 200 kBps when downloading map ;D

The only thing that could help you server side is enable pause_on_join. But such setting will hardly be enable again, even if it isn't bugged as it used to be. Such setting is just plain annoying to the players already inside the server.
From your side upgrading either your hardware or your connection would help. Your hardware because once you get the map(even if very slowly) what matter the most is the hardware since it have to catch up the ticks it lost. Your connection because it reduces the map download time and therefore reduces the ticks to catch up. openttd-dev rellated post

tq for tips but core i5 still good enough for me :P