You are Here:

Poll

Do you want to Share infrastructures (Airports/Train Stations/Bus stations/Docks) with other players?

Hell Yes
4 (66.7%)
No way
2 (33.3%)
I need more information about it's development or i'm afraid of potential abuse
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: September 11, 2013, 02:54:58 am

[Poll] Sharing Infastructures

Author (Read 10519 times)

[Poll] Sharing Infastructures
« on: August 11, 2013, 04:10:40 pm »

Ethereal

• View Profile
Hi. This sonds more like a question than a suggestion, but what do you guys think about it?
I mean it more specifically for the Airports. I know there exists a patch that allows you to share certain infrastructures to allow multiple people to use them.
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=44802
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:49:02 am by Ethereal »

Re: Sharing Infastructures
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 07:22:09 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I`m searching for this currently.

But to explain:

1: I consider it a very nice idea for a server.
2: Before we could talk about implementing it, I want to see more oppinions
3: I`m currently searching to see if it is possible to find a grf that also has sharing of Rail infrastructure...that would be very nice and realistic.

If you find anything new, let me know... You can also come to IRC to talk about this. For the moment, I want to see other oppinions about it too.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 08:13:18 pm »

The_Dude

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Novapolis
No can do

Sharing industries requires patching server code and furthermore this thing also requires patched clients.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 08:42:55 pm »

Ethereal

• View Profile
2: Before we could talk about implementing it, I want to see more oppinions
3: I`m currently searching to see if it is possible to find a grf that also has sharing of Rail infrastructure...that would be very nice and realistic.[
2. That's why i was asking for opinions, Alex ^^ I want to know what the players, and everyone else here, thinks about sharing.

3. There's a savegame, which was hacked in order to allow sharing the stations. I'm not sure if on that savegame all stations, or only certain ones (ex: Airport OR train station are shared). I might need to take a look at it. But that option seems to be better as "grf"/addon file.
Sharing industries requires patching server code and furthermore this thing also requires patched clients.
I'm aware of it, and, if people wants to play with sharing on, they'll have to patch it. It's like if a newgrf is added.. everyone will have to get it somehow.

The idea of this topic is to know what does the n-ice players think about Sharing stations/airports.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 08:48:26 pm by Ethereal »

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 02:27:00 am »

naz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I think this is a COOL idea :) .
On http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=44802 it says this feature can be switched on or off by ADMINS....

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 02:55:26 am »

Ethereal

• View Profile
Poll Added. Let's make it more legit  8)

Re: [Poll] Sharing Infastructures
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 05:12:57 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
:) Very good idea with the poll.

However, I want to tell you from now, that the idea of adding it to all the servers and simply turning it on or off is not phesable.

Because the simplest grf can cause a server to be empty.(a lot of examples that support this idea)

But if the test goes well, we can talk about implementing it on a couple of servers. But, this is something that all of us have to agree and especially me and Batt.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:22:02 pm by alex879ro »

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 07:32:57 pm »

Ethereal

• View Profile
Well i wasnt planning to get the feature on all the servers, but in one dedicated (a Dedicated Sharing server, f.e). However it depends of the users, and the implementation of the feature also.

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 06:44:31 pm »

Alastair

• View Profile
Sounds really cool. However it would be interesting to see how it would turn out. Everyone would be trying to further their own company whilst sharing infrastructure. Crazy, but pretty cool. Maybe really long "mainlines" would be very useful. As for airport, I hate them and never use them. Shared bus stations would be pretty neat too, as would shared "highways".

Actually, you could just have everyone playing in the one company, loosely like openttd coop. Maybe that belongs in a different suggestion thread though :).

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 01:41:55 am »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, it is not possible.

After asking , I found out that sharing airports requires patching, which is not possible on our server.

Sharing rail infrastructure requires altering of the openttd code, which, again, is not possible.

Too bad....made me sad. The idea of sharing would have sounded like a more realistic openttd. Oferring the biggest rent in order to be able to use a station, investing into new infrastructure projects indeed does sound like a whole new openttd :)

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 01:54:50 am »

Ethereal

• View Profile
There's a savegame which can be used, but since i'm under exams, i've been not too active for this.