You are Here:
New rule - city builder

Author (Read 5324 times)

New rule - city builder
« on: January 30, 2013, 10:59:07 am »

FreeShipping

• View Profile
Hi all,

recently i was playing on n-ice city builder server (7500 pop.). After about 2h of playing, pop up new player with new company, his main goal was to build station on every resource i was transporting to my town. So he build-ed station on resources (passenger, water, fruit, wood..) and transport them to nearest accepting city, factory.. He splitted my resources and ruined my 2h game.. He didn't wanted to play objective and to build his own city, he just wanted to split my resources. I don't complain about competition, but that was so obviously that he was trying to make my game harder and to slow me down. All he had was stations by mines.
So I called Admin even that i was aware that he didn't broke any rule, because competition for resources is allowed.
And Admin Dyan (aware that problem exist) after some time make conclusion there was no breaking rules and that he feels sorry about what going on.
I was unable to compete with that player because he was building short routes to nearest city, so i quieted game.

Well, that can be case in every game. To prevent this, i suggest to add one rule like on other city builder servers, that you must transport resources in your own town.

Tell me what you think about that rule?

This is funnier, because at beginning of the game, one player was deleted half of my town, and build-ed trees to improve his rating.. I was drop from 1000 to 500pop. He sad to admin that his monitor resolution is small and he don't see all rules, lol WTF?? Admin kindly explained to him how to see rules, warn him, and let him continue playing.
Later some third guy was driving my food at his own city..

Bye,
Milos.

Re: New rule - city builder
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 06:09:15 pm »

YorVeX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • n-ice.org
the rules are complicated enough, i don't want to start with more rules that are server specific, adding yet another level of complexity.
apart from that you can invest into any other cities for various valid reasons, e.g. just to get the money you need for growing the network around your own city or because you plan to connect it to your city over a long distance later when you got more money. we would forbid such cases too.

usually if a player builds things that barely gives himself any profit but makes the profit of someone else decrease significantly we apply the "no sabotage" rule (part of rule 3) on him.
the problem with that is that you cannot drag a hard line here. if he is like a parasite but at the same time it is the only business he got, you cannot say he is only running the lines to sabotage you, it is also what generates all his income.
of course we also had situations where someone was running only long and big networks - and only at a few spots he let buses drive 10 tiles to move cargo away from an industry someone else was using, barely making any money from these lines. that would be a clear sabotage case.

most of the time it is not an easy judgement, and it is even harder without having been there, so i don't know what was the situation in your case. i understand your frustration but your suggestion is not a good solution, because it would be limiting legitimate gameplay too, which should always be avoided.

the sad story about this is that most of the players that compete in such a forced way aren't even worth mentioning as a competitor. they would never win and often the player they compete with is still the #1 player on the server with a big distance. yet that player complains, gets frustrated and leaves the game he would have easily won. i have seen players leave after being "leeched" that were at 80% when the 2nd was at 30% and the leecher at 2%. from an objective perspective this is not explainable - this is more an emotional thing than anything else. and the best players are those that learned they should just play and not worry so much...