You are Here:
Arctic LONG GOAL

Author (Read 6843 times)

Arctic LONG GOAL
« on: November 18, 2012, 09:05:01 pm »

sexten

• View Profile
I have to admit my definite favourite servers are currently #5 and #6 because it gives you time/forces you to build a proper network.
So if you're ever considering switching the theme on one of the other servers to something different, my recommodation would be Arctic LONG GOAL. Starting in 1955 or 1960, and with very hilly landscape settings making it (perhaps) a little mixture of HARD GOAL and LONG GOAL.

Possibly also making the initial size of cities smaller (below 4k) so you can't make a load of money quite early/fast like in TEMPERATE LONG GOAL #5.

Re: Arctic LONG GOAL
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 04:46:11 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sexten....you told me , so my opinion you already know.

About the ARCTIC LONG GOAL . Arctics are not so popular unfortunately.....even if I am the fan of Long Goals definetly, even to me , an Arctic Long Goal doesn`t sound like a good idea. But hey....I can be wrong....If we see more favorable opinions here, we`ll give it a try......so everybody...please share your opinions :)

About the ARCTIC HARD GOAL . As I said about the arctics......but yet again...We never thought about such a server. This one seems much more interesting....But ...before we could try such a proposal ....I would like to see what ST2 has to say mainly about the ARCTIC HARD GOAL....since he has a well known experience with this type of servers...

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 05:31:46 pm »

PixL

• View Profile
Sexten....you told me , so my opinion you already know.

About the ARCTIC LONG GOAL . Arctics are not so popular unfortunately.....even if I am the fan of Long Goals definetly, even to me , an Arctic Long Goal doesn`t sound like a good idea. But hey....I can be wrong....If we see more favorable opinions here, we`ll give it a try......so everybody...please share your opinions :)

About the ARCTIC HARD GOAL . As I said about the arctics......but yet again...We never thought about such a server. This one seems much more interesting....But ...before we could try such a proposal ....I would like to see what ST2 has to say mainly about the ARCTIC HARD GOAL....since he has a well known experience with this type of servers...
I think sexten meant that these things would be combined into a single ARCTIC LONG HARD GOAL server.

I'm not a very big fan of this idea. Long games and hard games have completely different challenges to them, and I don't see why they should be combined. Also, we already have several long goals, and I see no need to add another one, temperate and Tropical really are better for those anyway in my opinion.
Not to mention that a hilly long goal server would just end up in ridiculous amounts of terraforming.

I am personally a big fan of arctic maps, and also a big fan of the earlier stages of the game. So an Arctic server starting in 1955-1960 definitely has my vote, And I have no objection to a hard game with hilly environments (even though it would probably end up with me failing horribly).

So, in short, I say yes for an Arctic hard goal, yes to an Arctic Server with early start, no on arctic long goal, and no on all these things combined.
Winning is for Losers!

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 10:03:38 pm »

Andreas

• I'm not THAT hot :)
    • View Profile
You got a very valid point on combining any long goal with harder settings. I also told sexten in IRC that I do not think it is a good idea. (for the reasons you mentioned, and just as important: they have a different playerbase, players that like long goals usually do not like hard goals.

I am in favor of trying a medium/hard difficulty artic server though. What would you think about an artic server with similar settings as s6?
alex879ro: "Each player has a different knowledge of the game, and then we got Andreas :)"

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 05:00:17 am »

ST2

• View Profile
hi:)
All OpenTTD players will agree with this: Long run servers are a 2-3 run max at the end; Medium servers have 4-5 players running to the win (at best of chances). And short goal servers have much more players. Reason is simple: It's OpenTTD, and who don't understand that... well, no words!

Now, to the point: Long servers don't combine with hard servers, not blaming the game itself (, only saying that normally a player give up when see a huge company there when he joins, and actually happens with all long servers. I could present simple examples here, https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48606680/Selection607578.png, https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48606680/Selection22050600.png and https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48606680/Selection1547155.png and after a while http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48606680/Selection3809513.png. But that would only show why n-ice OpenTTD servers languish, what makes me particularly sad.

Despite my opinions about hard servers and yours too... before asking ST2's opinion, please learn what is balance a server first. In other words, I've got tired of being accused of trying to making servers harder... when my words were "balance" servers.

Shortly: and quoting "players don't like hard servers", so why set one more? Oh... forget this one: there's someone that don't understand the difference between balance a server and after that, knowing that is possible to make it easy or hard... Settings my friend... settings! So, taking the words that stifled my opinions, already answered! When my opinions have some value ... ask again!