You are Here:
Two rounds server tournaments

Author (Read 9503 times)

Two rounds server tournaments
« on: December 09, 2012, 03:26:40 am »

newtonis

• View Profile
It would be great to make all the winners and maybe the 2nds of the servers qualify to a final round in another server.

It could be arranged by hand by admins in the server chat or by server advertisement to every new connection (maybe also here) and a player that has not qualify to the final could be kicked from the server.

Only an idea can could be improved a lot

Re: Two rounds server tournaments
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 04:20:36 am »

ST2

• View Profile
yep...

I guess that's a good ideia, since possible to set winners and 2nds. Per server? Or a global tournament?
If per server... hell of a work. If global... in wich server will be the final round? I mean: server settings, map size and goal!
The concept ideia not bad at all... but you can see admins presence by calls you've made not aknowledged - that means the time to set a propper thing like you say... requires time and some coding I guess.
Before someone says "stop it, you're not admin here", I'll suggest to person that used this words to use his knowledges on setting a server where's only allowed to enter the 1st and 2nd's per server... in another server. It's impossible to set a new server for a meeting for 1sts and 2nds in each server. But maybe close the specific server one day/hour for the meeting of the weekly winners and 2nds.
The original suggestion is valid, I've only added some more possibilities: 1st, 2nds in the week, available to enter a weekly tournament in a common game! Seems better to me and easier than set a weekly/monthly meeting for 1sts and 2nds globaly that per server :)

only suggestions ^^
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:22:24 am by ST2 »

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 01:23:57 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Newtonis, server tournaments are an old  and good idea. Everybody would love them. But....unfortunately there are 2 major problems which can hardly be solved:

1) The idea sounds very good but when you actually try to turn it in reality, it is very hard to make people that live in 4 different continents to play a game at the same hour. We tried to start with an Admin Tournament and after the 3rd edition we came to the conclusion that we have to come up with another idea. The first edition was ideed a nice event , but after that presence at the tournament started being more and more scarse. You have to take into consideration the fact that people have a real life. For example St2 fell asleep during the tournament. Can`t blame him, seriously speaking.....he could have been tired ....we had people who couldn`t make it cause they had to work or to study. That`s the problem. Globalization is very hard to do.
We were thinking about a server which could be played by all and which would have a point system very well defined.  A server which would have a goal (let`s say 5 bil .... just an example) and after u reached 5 bil, it would say "Congratulations, you earned x points" And based on that point system , you could qualify or not into the second round. Perhaps on the finals we could speak about asking players to be there altough in order to do that, it would have to be a low number of finalists.
Ofc , so far it is just an idea.....

2) The second problem is lag. On major servers 5,8,k4,k5 very few people have an internet connection good enough to hold. So again, the problem of globalization appears. One of our machines is located in Germany and the other one in the USA. With the 1 server which you could complete anytime(idea 1 ) , the problem would be better fixed , directing the players from the Americas to the USA server and the players from Africa , Europe to the European machine . Basically when we had the admin tournament on server 5 , there were few people that could hold the connection until the end , because when it comes to competitivity , people really build like mad.

Those are the 2 major problems that stand against us .....Another good idea for an admint tournament is the vacation....and there is already one admin tournament being scheduled....in server 5 after the 20th december. But the vacation only helps with people being able to be there. We still got to think about the lag .

I think you understand what i mean.....there could be people who would have to play at 3AM or at 8AM . We have to think about those people too when scheduling the tournament....

This comment represented my opinion so far....opinion which can be changed . Ofc , you require arguments to change it , but it is possible. I`m sure that a solution can be found....

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 06:11:53 pm »

newtonis

• View Profile
Well you are right is very difficult.

I like a lot the suggestion of ST2, allow only 1sts and 2nds enter a VIP weekly tournament played the last day of the week and the winner of the game would be the N-ICE ORG champion of the week. If somebody that is not a 1st or 2nd of some server of the week and join the final, he should be kicked by admin or by server.

Or another possibility is in web page display a password to play the week final only to registered players that have won a server that week, and in the final of the week server put that password to enter.

Then all the winners of the week could be allowed to play a final final using the same criteria to enter that the weekly finals.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 07:03:30 pm »

Cossack

• arl hook u in the gabber
    • View Profile
So admin tournaments are fine yet player tournaments are impossible to organize? All that needs to be done is for a thread to be made for applicants with a specific server and a set time. Timezones are irrelevant imo, if you want to play- you can. If you wan't to play but can't- make your own tournament for your timezone, people will surely put their name down. Seems pretty simple to me.

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 01:01:02 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Cossack....i gave the admin tournament as an example because it is a case about people knowing each other and not being able to make it. Also , admin tournament involved less people then a player tournament would... I remember even my case when i was on the road for 2 hours in the country and arrived 1hour late.

If you would have remembered , I am a fan of organizing tournaments, and in what concerns n-ice, we even had an idea about starting a tournament server.

When u say "timezones are irrelevant" , it is obvious that you don`t have any idea about what you`re talking or simply choosing to ignore a valid argument. This part of the conversation reminded me of the old Cossack and what we discussed about the weird olympics . I haven`t seen any form of organising there. Whenever i abandoned the project after those disputes...any chance of organising went down. So if you`re interested in just making other people do the work, you could at least listen to their reasons. If you want to do the work yourself...go ahead....you have my aproval to start collecting ideas and organising this.

Also, in what concerns admin tournaments, they were just the first step: 1st  we tried to organise such tournaments, then the plan was to continue with player tournaments. Also, in every ad about the admin tournament , it said pretty well that EVERYBODY was invited to participate. However, due to the imposibility of people being on the server at a specific hour, we cancelled it until the vacation. So if organising a little tournament proved to be very hard, what would be the reason to start organising a big one? People just can`t make it at a specific hour. And I`m not going to start this all over again just because Cossack says "timezones are irelevant"

If you really care so much, try to organise it ...and you`ll see what i mean....

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 03:07:48 pm »

Cossack

• View Profile
After my original post I took the liberty of writing up plans for a tournament. Organization wise it seems relatively simple but the one thing I can't control is the number of players actually participating in it. This is why I propose an incentive for the top three. I was thing 1000 points & a 'victor' or 'world champion' achievement for 1st place, 500 points for 2nd place and 250 for 3rd.  Now, those are some tasty prizes, so tasty infact that I believe it would improve the numbers participating in the tournament immensely. However, I do not have the authority to award such prizes nor do I know if it is even possible. That's why I need your help, if it's possible then I will post my plans and a poll to vote on which server (long-run excluded due to timezones) with a date of possibly the Sunday after next. However, if you're unable to award prizes to the top 3 then I don't really see the point, I feel as if maybe 7 or 8 people would sign up but then there'd be like 3 of us in the end and it essentially would just be like any other game. The stakes need to be raised in such a competitive environment.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:11:09 pm by Cossack »

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 06:21:18 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ooooo .... a new Cossack? Did i saw well? Did you write "plans" ? Of course we can offer points....and achievements. All I can say is that i`m very anxious to see your ideas. Also, 2 weeks is little time. I can`t guarantee that we can be ready with the preparations and the poll and the idea...and so and so. But I`ll do my best to support ideas if I see them posted like we do...

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 12:20:34 am »

Cossack

• View Profile
I'll make a thread when I can summon the motivation.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 01:57:18 am »

ST2

• View Profile
well, other suggestion:
- weekly server winners (among all servers sould give enough player base, if not... 2nd ones too);
- Goal: weighted averaged (Nr. players/Servers goals);
- 4x multiplier on points earned ingame (as a normal game)
- No breakdowns (easiest way to balance players are used to it, or not) (optional);
- No air and no ships (it's a tournament server... not a game for begginers);
- Map type could be calculated by a player preference field in player's preferences in website/forum;
- "Timezone" of tournament calculated accordingly the weekly games won (including weighted averaged of each server goal);

Base to start! (edited here for obvious reasons)

Note: Admin tournaments died because there were "special guests" that not the usual and regular players. Nobody likes to be discriminated, but happened, sadly! Only need to check player's memory. And Admin tournaments till now was NEVER "about people knowing each other"... All players could join... the name itself was a discrimination that involved EXACTLY the same player base. If not... badly set! And among chats I saw a glance of it... again!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:38:15 am by ST2 »

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 11:55:09 pm »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
St2, from what I see , now you accuse us of discrimination? The Admin Tournaments were named this way because the main players were the admins. You know very well that the idea started from a bet to see how you play on server 5 , and now all the sudden it is discrimination. Stop pretending like you were never a part of it , and then just throw blames. Admin Tournament was no discrimination. A player tournament was never suggested in details, so what was the problem with having an Admin Tournament?

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 12:28:07 am »

ST2

• View Profile
well, I'll try explain with other words; maybe the italic parts get understandable:
- "Admin tournaments died because there were "special guests" that not the usual and regular players"
- "And among chats I saw a glance of it... again!"

I hope you truly understand what was wrongly made. Wasn't ONLY the name itself, but  also what's mentioned above. Or you can simply explain to most regular players why they weren't "special guests"!
Now, instead of picking on a english misunderstanding or not correctly interpreted, why not devote yourself to those suggestions ... by topics and detailed QB, as a start base?!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 03:14:38 am by ST2 »