You are Here:
Awarding points when no one reaches the goal

Author (Read 6710 times)

Awarding points when no one reaches the goal
« on: September 06, 2012, 03:51:24 am »

vitalikk2005

• View Profile
I wonder if there is any specific reason why no one gets scored if the game finishes without anyone reaching the goal. It is especially unfair towards players on long run servers who get close to the goal but still unable to reach it in time.

I suggest that at the moment of restart, everyone logged in receives his current score, without any 'winner bonus' to the leader whatsoever.

Re: Awarding points when no one reaches the goal
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:18:56 am »

alex879ro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I agree with that...An applied penalty of ..let`s say 10% wouldn`t be bad either for the fact that goal is not reached, but beyond that I agree with getting the points...

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 05:20:51 am »

naz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A very good sugestion indeed. This would ecourage ppl to participat, knowing they'll get something. Also agree with Alex's idea of applied penalty.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 01:29:16 pm »

Andreas

• I'm not THAT hot :)
    • View Profile
In the meantime there have been some new ideas on how to implement a new scoring system. It can be found here: http://www.n-ice.org/openttd/forum/index.php?topic=54.msg1344#msg1344
alex879ro: "Each player has a different knowledge of the game, and then we got Andreas :)"

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 11:20:21 pm »

Waldo

• Global Moderator
  • தமிழ் வாழ்க
    • View Profile
    • www.karthickn.com
seriously all that time we spend to build networks trying to reach the goal needs to be accounted for! give us points even if no-one wins! encourage us! pweeeeeeseeeee!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 11:22:55 pm by Waldo »
And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 12:34:24 am »

Andreas

• I'm not THAT hot :)
    • View Profile
I realise the thread I linked too might be a bit long so I will present you with some kind of summary:

We are thinking of a new scoring system. The main reasons for this are:

• The current system can not be used for points for the citybuilder. Also there is no 'simple' solution to make this work, because of the totally different nature of a cb game and a CV game.
  • With the current system you only get points when you are logged in at the end of the game, That can be especially  annoying in long goals as you will know.
  • Last but not least as you have pointed out: no points if the goal is not reached.

The new system will most probably give points per quarter or year based on 'achievements' in that year. This could for example be increase in income, cv or other stuff (criterium is that it needs to be able to be 'read' from the game).  There also might be some (point)penalties included for stuff like crashing trains or RV's.

How exactly it will work and what will be used is not decided yet. If you want to contribute to the discussion I would recommend  doing so in the topic linked in the previous post to keep the ideas in one place. Once we are closer to the actual implementing of the new system a new thread and probably also a news-post will be made to get input and thoughts from all players.

I would also like to point out that while we are planning this it might take (quite) some time to be implemented. The reasons for this being that finishing the cb has priority, and it still has a number of bugs and stability issues that need to be solved. Also Yorvex (xOr) is doing most (read almost all) of the coding. Also all of the 'work' here is being done in our free time,

I hope this makes things a bit more clear.

Have fun gaming,
Andreas
alex879ro: "Each player has a different knowledge of the game, and then we got Andreas :)"